NZ and Tasmanian cetacean strandings (Part I)

TPOTH said:
Would have loved to nab a pectoral fin or the tail before the tide came in... Note to self: next time, bring chainsaw and somebody to run interference

A chainsaw!!!! Are you mad? You are soooooo doing that job. As for running interference, I think I'll just run. Also, what are you going to do with a 6' by 6' tail? It's not like it's going to fit under your bed?

Still it would be funny, and I would probably pay money to see it. Plus if we videoed it we could probably make a bit of money on the rights.
:wink: :P

TPOTH

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Matt Jones said:
TPOTH said:
Would have loved to nab a pectoral fin or the tail before the tide came in... Note to self: next time, bring chainsaw and somebody to run interference

A chainsaw!!!! Are you mad? You are soooooo doing that job.
Of course! not gonna let somebody else spoil my fun :twisted:

As for running interference, I think I'll just run. Also, what are you going to do with a 6' by 6' tail? It's not like it's going to fit under your bed?
Was thinking it would make a cool display in the "marine" lab... so far we only have a handful of crummy B&W pages tacked on here and there.
Or i could just buy a really big bed...

Still it would be funny, and I would probably pay money to see it. Plus if we videoed it we could probably make a bit of money on the rights.
:wink: :P
And if it's not funny enough we can always blow up the whale... always makes for good viewing :lol:

TPOTH

As for running interference, I think I'll just run

There's the whole spraying of decomposing whale fragments to consider, while you chainsaw away... I can picture the pink mist and the desperate running (upwind)... Few however, can comprehend the stench, you earn information from beached whales...

Still, it would make great tv... Hey I'm right there with you! Well, upwind a bit.

:P

Was thinking it would make a cool display in the "marine" lab... so far we only have a handful of crummy B&W pages tacked on here and there.

Two words:

extractor fan

Many words:

We don't have one yet.

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
Matt Jones said:
Two words:

extractor fan

Many words:

We don't have one yet.

awwww c'mon Matt where's your adventurous spirit? your scientifically enquiring mind? (before you ask YES I have smelled decomposing whale and seal and seal lion!)

Y'never know you could bottle the scent and sell it as "l'eau de whale pong" would fit right in there with last years "l'eau de squid pong"

J

TPOTH

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Jean said:
Y'never know you could bottle the scent and sell it as "l'eau de whale pong" would fit right in there with last years "l'eau de squid pong"

We are currently battling it out in the wetlab. In competition:
"l'eau de squid beaks" by :oshea:
"l'eau de rattails" by Matt Jones
"l'eau de sharks" by TPOTH

Can report that we are all pretty immune to the stench but :oshea: seems to be leading... chalk it to experience i think. My own concoction requires a tiny bit of time to mature to pugnent ammonia flavour... :twisted:

TPOTH

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
TPOTH said:
Jean said:

We are currently battling it out in the wetlab. In competition:
"l'eau de squid beaks" by :oshea:
"l'eau de rattails" by Matt Jones
"l'eau de sharks" by TPOTH

Can report that we are all pretty immune to the stench but :oshea: seems to be leading... chalk it to experience i think. My own concoction requires a tiny bit of time to mature to pugnent ammonia flavour... :twisted:

TPOTH

Add in some asfoetida (I think that's how it's spelt!) Nasty smelling plant material, real puke inducing stuff.....then you'll win you might even crack the famous :oshea: "what smell?" poker face :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

J

TPOTH

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Jean said:
you might even crack the famous :oshea: "what smell?" poker face :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Already have :lol:
I did "forget" two half dissected sharks we used for the Discovery Channel in the sink one wekend... can guarantee you that the poker face was well and truly shattered on Monday morning :biggrin2:
..or it could have been that "French smell" ??? :cry:

TPOTH

Jean

Colossal Squid
Registered
TPOTH said:
Jean said:
you might even crack the famous :oshea: "what smell?" poker face :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Already have :lol:
I did "forget" two half dissected sharks we used for the Discovery Channel in the sink one wekend... can guarantee you that the poker face was well and truly shattered on Monday morning :biggrin2:
..or it could have been that "French smell" ??? :cry:

TPOTH

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I find a nicely mature Moroteuthis Tentacle or mantle under the sink gets a reaction from the whole building (mind you so does boiling a seal head to get the teeth out!) :twisted:

J

An unfortunate resurrection...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20051025/sc_afp/australiaanimalswhales_051025140312

60 pilots whales beached themselves in Marion Bay, Tasmania.

Its interesting to think about how long humans have known about whale strandings, and yet we still only have theories as to why it happens. We really don't know anything about anything. I can't remember it exactly, but David Suzuki, Canadian scientist/activist, said something along the lines that he'd worked with fruit flies for over 21 years and he still didn't know half of what was going on with these "simple" creatures. Really gives you pause as to what we're doing to this here Earth.

Cheers, Jesse

Latest Posts