• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Not coming out

Hi,

I have had this otco for about 2-3 weeks now. I am sure its either a bimaculoides or a bimacuatus. I trapped it and put it in my aquarium. He took naturally to it. He was swimming and eating within the first couple of days. I realized that he was living in like 60 degree water. So i hooked up a chiller to the tank. Now he isn't coming out as much. Could that be because of the chiller? Also right when I hooked up the chiller I started feeding him thawed shrimp. Could that be a problem maybe Or could the light be to bright?:confused::confused::confused:

What was the temperature of the tank before you added the chiller? If you're using the chiller now, try setting it at 65 degrees.

Try feeding your octopus live crabs or live shrimp, at least some of the time.

Bright lights could also be the reason - what sort do you have?

Your octopus is most likely O. bimaculoides. I just can't see the eye spot well enough to recognize the unbroken chain. At any rate, it wouldn't make much difference at this point in your octopus's life.

Nancy

Is it possible you have a female beginning to brood? Then you really might consider releasing it as it gets expensive quickly to feed babies, and it takes more experience to do.

Since it is wild caught, it may not want to eat dead foods. Since it could be older, it may really prefer to catch it's own food, go back to providing live foods for it to catch.

All in all, it really sounds like you have a mature animal. No matter what you do, and well you care for it, it will probably not be happy in your tank.

Of all the octos I've had, I feel really bad about keeping one of them, I could tell she just didn't like living in a tank. She was older and began to brood within 3 weeks of having her. Since I live in MI, she had to finish her life in my tank. If I could have let that one go back to the wild, I would have.

I know a lot of people have given you a gripe for keeping this animal. I'm glad to see that you caught it responsibly and made sure everything was legal. I don't want to discourage you from keeping octos, but maybe it's time to put this one back and look for a smaller one?

You are lucky to live near the ocean and have shown that you are not too lazy to find the right care info- we all know you want what is best for the animals. Can you take your research a step further, and find out exactly what octos live where you are and their life cycles as they relate to the seasons of the year? What I'm getting at is, if you know when baby octos are hatching out, you could wait and try to catch a younger animal. You will most likely have a more rewarding experience if you can find a younger octo!

If you read through all of our journals, as I'm sure you have, you'll see that we've all had frustrating time trying to keep these animals! Sometimes whole strings of octos before a young, interested animal comes into our lives. If it seems like people are being harsh, it's only because so many of us have had unhappy octos that we'd release back to their proper home. Not only do you have the opportunity to do so- you can keep trying! If you are a student, see if research into local octos and their habits can get you school credit somehow!

Thank you for all your responses. Nancy thanks for telling me to change the temp. I changed and he came out when it got to the temp. I think I am going to let him go this weekend. I agree that it would be better to start with a baby octo. Also it is a negative tide and Feb. is the time when the baby bimacs starting hatching. Thanks for all the responses. Oya and the first time I did post something every one was be kinda rude and I almost didn't want to come on again but thanks forme you just care.telling:smile::spongebo:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back