Not Ceph related, but interesting, albeit sad...

British Scientist Killed by Leopard Seal

This is a sad story, but a cautionary one to those snorkeling around "cute" animals like seals and other marine mammals.

The leopard seal, Hydrurga leptonyx, is a large seal with a fondness for penguins. In fact, they are known to shake the birds with such ferocity that the skin is quite literally thrown free of the body (yuk!). I have been face to face with an elephant seal, Mirunga angustirostris, and I can tell you that marine mammals look a lot less cute when they are threating to kill you. Still though, I've never heard of a leopard seal attacking a human... sad... very sad.

Sorry this wasn't a more happy post. Next one will hopefully be more upbeat.

John

I don't think she was a victim of the "disney-fied" populace, just made a mistake, and being in the wrong place at the wrong time...it does go to show however, that all of these animals have the capability to be lethal...sometimes we get too comfortable with wildlife, and it bites back...sad story.
Greg

Yea this is a very sad story :cry: and I must agree when we get to comfortable with nature we for get that it has teeth. I feel for her family and friends.

Sad but a reminder to all none the less...

Lets hope we never get the '...killed by pet blue ring octopus' headline

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back