• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $25/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crypto!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Normal Bimac Growth?

jkprules

Cuttlefish
Registered
Hey guys. I've had what I'm almost positive is a bimac for the better part of five months or more. When I got him his mantal was probubly smaller than a marble. He's much bigger now but I'm not sure if he's as big as he should be. The mantal's not quite the size of a golf ball now. Is this normal or should he be bigger?

He gets three or four frozen krill a day which he happily devours. He generally ignores any more than that. Amonia and nitrites are zero with nitrates around 15-20 ppm. Specific gravity stays between 1.025 and 1.026. I have him in a 40 gallon with a 20 gallon sump/refugium. Theres around 70 lbs of live rock and a protein skimmer along with plenty of filtration. Water temp is in the low 70's.

Am I doing something wrong that I just don't know about? I feel like he should be bigger by now. He still eats and is moderately active, spending a good bit of his time out and about away from his den, so I dont think he's unhappy. Any thoughts?

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Hi
what size are the frozen krill? The ones I am thinking of are barely 1cm long and in that case I'd start feeding the octopus more. I'd be looking at using crabs instead and ones with a carapace of about 1/3 to 1/2 half the size of the octopus's mantle...

let us know if that helps?

cheers

jkprules

Cuttlefish
Registered
The krill are probubly 3/4 an inch long. Occasionally he gets a crayfish or half a raw prawn shrimp. Maybe I'll try feeding him the same ammount a few hours later and see what happens.

DHyslop

Architeuthis
Registered
My bimac was well-fed and lived well over a year, but he never grew very large. His mantle was never larger than a golf-ball.