[Non-ceph] Monster sunfish

Jean;83609 said:
The stench must've been incredible. We occasionally boil seal or sea lion heads (to get at the teeth,for ageing, in particular without damaging the skull) and that's fairly aromatic. We have an advantage tho' we're out in the country with only one residence near by...the resident tech who should be used to odd aromas! Security does come out but they've learned to ignore such pongs (although it usually sets the dogs to drooling!!!!!!).

I guess now you have the fun of re-articulating the bones!

J

You should probably get some dermestid beetles...I'm working on establishing a colony myself. They're the best way to clean bones without getting them greasy as boiling does -- although you'd need an incredible colony to clean this monster sunfish!

Mola Mola;84786 said:
Wow awesome thread.. Was the fish found dead?

Yes, dead, floating at sea. We did a buoyancy test on the tissues; they are positively so. Several days after the press release I got a call from a yachtsman that claimed to have hit the brute with the keel of his yacht (accidentally of course). Immediately afterwards the fish was disoriented at the surface, on its side, then it disappeared. I have no way of knowing whether the story is true (I get lots of strange calls) but it does sound reasonable.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back