[Non-ceph] Monster sunfish

find a truck stop.... weigh the vehicle you'll use and any trailer, go pick up the fish and then go again.... (minus the pallet after you've moved the fish)

it may be just be a story, but back in the day (think 50s/60s) there was a story about weighing an american football lineman (suposedly the first 300#er) at a truck stop since they didnt have scales that went that high....

are mola any good for eating? the fact that it got sent to steve instead of market suggests no....

WhiteKiboko;83267 said:
are mola any good for eating? the fact that it got sent to steve instead of market suggests no....
Exactly what are you saying, sweetums? Hmmmm. Anyone seen WK in the market recently?

I have heard that they make good eating, although cuttlegirl's earlier, re parasite loading, is cause for concern.

ok good point.... i mustve spaced on that part of the thread.....

i didnt mean anything - unless theres a history of possibly unsafe seafood being sent you way...

what? :twisted: buy you a fugu dinner? :smile:

WhiteKiboko;83267 said:
find a truck stop.... weigh the vehicle you'll use and any trailer, go pick up the fish and then go again.... (minus the pallet after you've moved the fish).

I have done this same thing (admittedly not with a giant sunfish) at the county dump. They have accurate vehicle scales, are generally interested in helping (if they are bored), and don't mind the smell. :biggrin2:

Phil;83250 said:
NZ and the UK are practically opposite sides to each other on the Earths surface, yet we share some of the same fish. Fascinating.

Actually NZ and the North Atlantic share quite a few deep-sea species; orange roughy for one.

Matt

Here she be. Defrosting in the car park... still mostly frozen, but the, ah, aroma has already attracted a few flies. And onlookers.

Attachments

• conv_289896.jpg
    conv_289896.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 205
  • conv_289897.jpg
    conv_289897.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 122
  • conv_289898.jpg
    conv_289898.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 221
We're frantically trying to get someone to make a cast of it ... and it's beginning to smell somewhat .... Ifw e don't get a cast made this afternoon, or first thing morrow, we'll have to carve it up and just do the skeleton, and that would be such a tremendous waste.

The company that had it stored for us was desperate to get it out - they needed the space (understandably); otherwise we'd have had more time to organise this

DHyslop,

Was that a suggestion for the new unit of measurement for Mola to be a spaceshuttle? Their not quite as easy to draw as double-decker buses...:wink:

Wow, absolutely fabulous creature! They are so unusual looking. I really hope Oceanus is looking out for you and the most can be made of this opportunity. Good luck!

Cheers!

Although I realize the beast is on its side, the resemblence was too much to pass up. The X-38 crew rescue vehicle would have been about twice the length of the fish, for reference.

Dan

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back