• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $25/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crypto!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

(non-ceph...again :roll:) pistol shrimp

In my 12 gallon, I currently have a pistol shrimp, a watchman goby, 2 hermits, and 4 snails. I cycled the tank for 5 weeks before putting fish in, I do at least one weekly water change of one gallon. My ammonia is at 0, Nitrites 0, pH 7.8-8, and nitrates are 80-140. The nitrates are worrying me because I cannot bring them down, does anyone have any suggestions? I feed half a frozen cube of mysis every other day. Secondly, I usually see my pistol shrimp out and about once in a while, especially when feeding, but haven't seen him since Saturday, this is really worrying me and I wonder what is happening or what I should do, should I add iodine? this has happened before when he's molted (i knew because i found the sheded skeleton) but it's only lasted about 36 hours before i saw him again and that was only 2-3 weeks ago.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Small tanks need more attention to keep them healthy. I have about an inch of course sand in our large nano and find all manner of stuff collects in it over a week's time (I have mostly clean up crew critters with a few soft corals). Even with the minimum bio-load I have to do a 5 gallon weekly water change with new filter pad AND vacuum the substrate.

I can try 1/4 of the cube, but I never find any left overs. I have a whisper 20i filter with the regular sponge pad and then a activated carbon fislter cartridege. Is this alright, or should I have something else?

Redoc

GPO
Registered
I always like to use some polywool. You can squeeze that stuff in your filter anywhere. I have 2 pistol shrimp 1 I never see I only hear and 1 that disappeared for 3 months I thought it was dead then poof its back. My suggestion is keep doing what your doing and let the tank work out its own balance. Sometimes it takes a while let some bacteria build up so it can do its job. If all your tank inhabitants look okay leave it alone until you start to see a problem ( fish or corals acting different ).