No lurker, glad I found you today.

Euprymna
As you might have guessed from my pseudo, I really like this species!
Yes, you rather startled me when I saw your pseudo. What's your experience with them???

So how was your success in culturing the v. small babies?
I haven't had the facility to culture the youngsters yet. I have been in FL only six months and with moving, unpacking, settling-in and all that goes with moving 1500 miles, I'm just now setting up my first reef tank. culturing Euprymna is in the future. A few students of Ned and Margaret's have tried with limited success. Now that I've found this forum, you will be the first to know of my attempts.

Mizu, Ra, to you too, Mizo!!! :yinyang:

sorseress, I'm glad, too, Sorseress!!!

Thank you, everyone for the warm welcome.

:welcome: from down under Dick.

I work mainly with ommastrephid squid (absolute sods to keep!) but in our public aquarium we have held Sepioloidea pacifica and hatched them successfully. Don't have the luminescent bacteria tho'

J

Originally posted by Amphibious
One interesting habit at dawn is they expel 90% of the luminous bacteria, V. fischeri they carried from the day before.

I was wondering how the babies acquired the bacteria. How do they expel the bacteria? Do they store them in some sort of sac?

So many questions...

Thanks for joining Tonmo!

cuttlegirl said:
I was wondering how the babies acquired the bacteria. How do they expel the bacteria? Do they store them in some sort of sac?

So many questions...

Thanks for joining Tonmo!

I can sort answer the last question but how exatly they acquire the bacteria, I don't know!
I know that they store them extracellularly in a bilobed light organ that lies in the centre of the mantle cavity (below the ink sac), where it is continuously bathed in seawater as a result of normal ventilatory activity.
So this complex "light organ" is "open" to the environmnent and contain a complex set of tissues supporting the culture of the luminescent bacteria. It is also composed of accessory tissues (thick reflector, lenses...) that allows control and direct the light produced by the bugs so the squid can perfectly match the downwelling light thus eliminating their shadows.

I suppose that the formation of the light organ is only accomplished at the end of the paralarval stage and only then, some sort of cue must trigger colonisation by the bacteria...??

It's very interesting that every morning they expel the bacteria to reduce energetic cost and acquire them at every sunset when they go out foraging! Apparently the bacteria do not contribute metabolically towards the squid, it only serve for light production.
I would like to know how exactly they manage to attract the bacteria every day!

Fascinating little squid! they can change colour, burry in the sand very effectively, squirt ink, produce light...all this to live for maximum 8 months!
wow!

eups

A paper was presented at CIAC about the Vibrio mutualism with Euprymna scolopes, E. tasmanica and E. hyllebergi, with some discussion of when the babies acquire the bacteria. Can't remember the particulars but the paper, when it comes out, should be:

Nishiguchi, M.K.; Jones, B.W. Population dynamics of a sepiolid squid-Vibrio mutualism from the Indo-west Pacific.

Hello from a fellow Floridian, scuba diver, and ceph enthusiast! Just wondering what size tank a small group of these guys might need? I'm sure others would be interested to know!

Tonmo, its your future, I see a... I see....... a Squid Care subforum!!!!!!

You guys have me a bit overwhelmed with the welcomes. Thank you, from my heart.

Jean, from down under. incredible!!! I've always dreamed of going there some day. You've got me dreaming again. :sun:

cuttlegirl, Euprymna did a great job explaining that phenomenon. Better than I could. Thanks, Euprymna.

aNmLlUvR09
Well Dick...it looks like you got a freakin parade in your welcome...lol you have quite a resume...its great to have you here
I don't know how to respond except to say thank you, each and every one of you. I am so happy i found this forum.

I have had a love affair with Cephs for 30 plus years and I just found a group of wonderful fellow cephalopodicmaniacs. Hmmm, I think I just added a word to the english cryptic language. :lol::belemnit:

Tintenfisch, I'll contact the Professors I worked with at the U of WI and see if they know about the paper. Thanks.

Roctopus, It turns out they can be kept in rather small quarters. Our adult female systems were 100 gallons plus a sump area of about 30 gallons. The holding system consisted of an Acrylic aquarium, the dimensions of which were 72x32x12 with a water depth of 10". Each tank was devided equally into 8 compartments, each measuring approximately 18" x 16" with water depth at 10". so they don't need a lot of room. However, males and females must be kept seperate. You know those darn males, all they have on their mind is breeding so they must be kept seperately. The females, if kept and feed properly could be housed together in small groups. But, keep in mind they are territorial and if conditions are not met there will be cannibalism.

Again, thank you for the great welcome.

Dick

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back