• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Nitrate in your tank

i try to do a 10gal water change at least 1 a week but sometimes its every 8 or 9 days days if i cant get to the lps b4 they close. by the way the closest lps that careys salt water is about 20-30 min from my house. im also iterested in the vodka thing. how does it work? and the calerpa idea. are there any inexpesive reliable online dealers? i havent seen any in the pet stores near me yet.

heh very interesting :smile:

First time I have heard a filter called 'she' before :smile:

If you drink enough cheap vodka, your tank looks just fine...

water changes are the way to go...if you don't do one for a period of time, when you do, the tank will crash...ugly stuff. Like Love Canal, only in white...yucch.

greg

When you say "Water changes" Are you using RO water or tap water with a Tap Water Conditioner or just staright tap water? I've been doing water changes on a regular basis with a water conditioner and I am getting lot's of brown alge, I think I need to up my game and spend the extra $$ for the RO water.

frusyks said:
When you say "Water changes" Are you using RO water or tap water with a Tap Water Conditioner or just staright tap water? I've been doing water changes on a regular basis with a water conditioner and I am getting lot's of brown alge, I think I need to up my game and spend the extra $$ for the RO water.

Use RO water. There's a lot of unknowns in your tap water. For reference, the EPA maximum contaminate level (MCL) for nitrate in drinking water comes out to be 30 mg/L (I just learned this today so I'm eager to show it off!). Not much point to doing a water change with that!

(If you think that's spooky, remember that no one regulates whats in or what's acceptable in bottled waters).

Dan

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back