NewTo Cephalopods....

chrisdamage

Hatchling
Registered
Hey everyone. I have been keeping Marine Tanks for about 2 years. I have always wanted to keep an Octopus and I feel that I am more than prepared to now. I'm trying to find out what type of Octopus/tank set-up I will be needing. I want to keep an Octopus that will be active during the day and I would like to keep the tank to around a 40 or 50 Breeder.

Can anyone suggest some further reading?

:welcome: to TONMO. The best place to start is the ARTICLES tab at the top of the page, particularly ceph care. We generally recommend 55gal-75gal or larger for most octos species that are day-active... it's possible that hummelincki can consistently do better in smaller tanks, but the jury's still out.

Anyway, the articles are a good place to start, and there's a tank database and "list of our octopuses" in ceph care and journals & photos, and otherwise looking for relevant threads and asking questions is encouraged.

One problem I think you will have with a breeder tank is the lack of height. It is a good idea to leave extra air space at the top of the tank to disuade escape attempts (they often "hang out" near the water line). With day octopuses, you are usually talking about a longer armed species and the combination will make the tank very short. With Octane (O. hummelincki) who has relatively short arms, the 2' tank seems just right height wise but the 30" I have is too short and 48" long would have been much better for his swimming.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back