TONMO.com Newsletter - July 17, 2020
===================================
ISSUE #183 -- Forum Updates On The Way
TONMO Forum Sponsor:
AquariumDepot.com's Partner Forum
===================================​

Hi tonmo,

Being a forum member, you've made a decision to provide your registration info in order to gain privileges (such as posting) on our closed communication platform. Thanks for doing that! I assume you joined because you agree it's a great place to interact with other ceph enthusiasts, for over 20 years running. The problem with TONMO, though, is that the big social media properties have generally sucked a lot of air out of the room, especially over the past 10 years. We don't get the participation that we used to... "Small talk" is more commonly reserved for the likes of Facebook and Twitter. In the case of Facebook, I think it's because the audiences are more personal to the user (it's unlikely your high school friends are on TONMO, after all), and in the case of Twitter, the communication is much more pithy than what is offered in forums -- and there's always the chance your communication can go viral. Cool stuff, and hard to compete with that!

Still, forums have their own unique value and utility for depth of discussion. I maintain my belief that there's still a big lane for communities like ours, and I think they may enjoy a bit of a resurgence going forward, due to changes both in the real world and online. We'll see about that, but whatever happens, I'm excited that our underlying software has some nice enhancements on the way. I'm looking forward to getting them integrated -- changes include a much more mobile-friendly instance of TONMO (PWA / progressive web app), new post types including article threads/forums, question threads/forums, and suggestion threads/forums, the latter two which will support the ability to "vote" for a favorite answer or mark one of the answers as a "solution" (in context, and with permissions in mind). There are also plenty of admin / developer toys for me to play with, which will be great for better categorizing our incredible content riches from over two decades of contributions. Stay tuned for all that, hopefully we'll be unveiling some of this before the next newsletter...

Meanwhile, don't miss what else is happening around the community:

ACTIVE CEPH TANKS SPOTLIGHT
:

· [Octopus]: Oscar the ornery octopus (O. briareus)

· [Octopus]: Hank the Bimac

· [Octopus]: Kestra

OTHER BUBBLINGS...
George Simms ponders what protects the octopus' brain:

· Anatomy question

Member Kharp is looking for some help from the community:

· Looking for Sepia bandensis eggs

One of the positive things to come out of modern times is the rise of sidewalk art. Most recently, gjbarord is taking it to the streets:

· Sidewalk Science of Cephalopods

Member davelin315 wraps up the great journal he maintained for his mimic - definitely worth a review:

· Surprise! It's a Mimic!

Since our last newsletter in late May, we have five new member introductions. Please join me in welcoming our newest TONMO members!

· Recent Graduate

· New graduate student

· Bonjour from New Orleans, Louisiana!

· Good Morning from New Zealand!

· New to Tonmo

Don't forget to catch up on all the cephalopod news happening around the world, as sourced by octobot and lovingly vetted by yours truly:

· octobot's News Desk

There is so much more happening within our community -- we look forward to your own contributions!

CEPHALOPLUGS
Now available: TONMO Merch! (t-shirts, mugs, etc.)
Visit your Account Upgrades to become a TONMO
Supporter to remove ads and gain access to our
powerful Search feature, covering two decades of
incredible cephalopod forum content. You can also
sponsor a forum, advertise, or simply donate.
Follow us on Twitter: @cephs: 1,447 followers
Like us on Facebook: tonmodotcom: 3,461 followers

See you online!

Tony Morelli (tonmo)
Founder, Webmaster, TONMO.com
/ / / / 0 \ \ \ \
The Octopus News Magazine Online
e: [email protected]

TONMO.com Newsletter - July 17, 2020
ISSUE #183 -- Forum Updates On The Way
TONMO Forum Sponsor:
AquariumDepot.com's Partner Forum

Hi tonmo,

Being a forum member, you've made a decision to provide your registration info in order to gain privileges (such as posting) on our closed communication platform. Thanks for doing that! I assume you joined because you agree it's a great place to interact with other ceph enthusiasts, for over 20 years running. The problem with TONMO, though, is that the big social media properties have generally sucked a lot of air out of the room, especially over the past 10 years. We don't get the participation that we used to... "Small talk" is more commonly reserved for the likes of Facebook and Twitter. In the case of Facebook, I think it's because the audiences are more personal to the user (it's unlikely your high school friends are on TONMO, after all), and in the case of Twitter, the communication is much more pithy than what is offered in forums -- and there's always the chance your communication can go viral. Cool stuff, and hard to compete with that!

Still, forums have their own unique value and utility for depth of discussion. I maintain my belief that there's still a big lane for communities like ours, and I think they may enjoy a bit of a resurgence going forward, due to changes both in the real world and online. We'll see about that, but whatever happens, I'm excited that our underlying software has some nice enhancements on the way. I'm looking forward to getting them integrated -- changes include a much more mobile-friendly instance of TONMO (PWA / progressive web app), new post types including article threads/forums, question threads/forums, and suggestion threads/forums, the latter two which will support the ability to "vote" for a favorite answer or mark one of the answers as a "solution" (in context, and with permissions in mind). There are also plenty of admin / developer toys for me to play with, which will be great for better categorizing our incredible content riches from over two decades of contributions. Stay tuned for all that, hopefully we'll be unveiling some of this before the next newsletter...

Meanwhile, don't miss what else is happening around the community:

ACTIVE CEPH TANKS SPOTLIGHT
:

· [Octopus]: Oscar the ornery octopus (O. briareus)

· [Octopus]: Hank the Bimac

· [Octopus]: Kestra

OTHER BUBBLINGS...
George Simms ponders what protects the octopus' brain:

· Anatomy question

Member Kharp is looking for some help from the community:

· Looking for Sepia bandensis eggs

One of the positive things to come out of modern times is the rise of sidewalk art. Most recently, gjbarord is taking it to the streets:

· Sidewalk Science of Cephalopods

Member davelin315 wraps up the great journal he maintained for his mimic - definitely worth a review:

· Surprise! It's a Mimic!

Since our last newsletter in late May, we have five new member introductions. Please join me in welcoming our newest TONMO members!

· Recent Graduate

· New graduate student

· Bonjour from New Orleans, Louisiana!

· Good Morning from New Zealand!

· New to Tonmo

Don't forget to catch up on all the cephalopod news happening around the world, as sourced by octobot and lovingly vetted by yours truly:

· octobot's News Desk

There is so much more happening within our community -- we look forward to your own contributions!

CEPHALOPLUGS
Now available: TONMO Merch! (t-shirts, mugs, etc.)
Visit your Account Upgrades to become a TONMO
Supporter to remove ads and gain access to our
powerful Search feature, covering two decades of
incredible cephalopod forum content. You can also
sponsor a forum, advertise, or simply donate.
Follow us on Twitter: @cephs: 1,447 followers
Like us on Facebook: tonmodotcom: 3,461 followers

See you online!

Tony Morelli (tonmo)
Founder, Webmaster, TONMO.com
/ / / / 0 \ \ \ \
e: [email protected]
I don’t use social media and have found TONMO to be a great source since discovering it a couple of months ago. When I begin grad school next month, I expect to be burning up the forum with questions for my marine biology class. Thanks, Tony.

What will you be studying?
I have not yet secured a faculty advisor, so I am technically listed as “no major” until I can find one. However, I’ll be in environmental science and my first two classes are marine biology and research methods.

I have not yet secured a faculty advisor, so I am technically listed as “no major” until I can find one. However, I’ll be in environmental science and my first two classes are marine biology and research methods.
I’m hoping that I can become known within the department (as this is my first semester at North Texas) and will be able to find a sympathetic mentor. This may prove difficult if classes are initially online during the pandemic.