[News]: Taningia attacks!

It is a great article. Lots to think about. I looked up the web address for Goto-Aqua, cited as the makers of the camera rig, and found a page for it (in Japanese, with prices helpfully noted):

Go-To Aqua, Makers of Squid-Cam

Cuttlegirl, you question's got me to thinking about the lost tentacles too, namely, how do the brains of organisms that lose specialized limbs during their life cycles adapt to the loss, especially if another set of specialized limbs assumes a role similar to the lost ones? Do young Taningia use their tentacles to range targets?

Clem

Phil;87653 said:
I think we should start a dedicated Dr Kubodera tribute thread! :notworth:

I think we should too, because this is not the first, nor will it be the last we hear from or about him!

This is actually based on footage several years ago ... and he's out there still; imagine what other 'little' surprises he has up his sleeves!

In fact, we should immortalise him with a Dr Kubodera emoticon! (Neil has one!)

[News]: Giant luminescent squid captured on film for first time - Ninemsn

[SIZE=-2]Playfuls.com[/SIZE]

Giant luminescent squid captured on film for first time
[SIZE=-1]Ninemsn, Australia - 9 hours ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Japanese scientists have released video footage of a live giant squid in what is believed to be the first time the elusive creature has been filmed in its ...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Video Captures Deep-sea Squid Hunting [SIZE=-1]Buzzle[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Giant Squid Found To Be Fast And Ferocious [SIZE=-1]Post Chronicle[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Giant squid found to be fast and ferocious [SIZE=-1]United Press International[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]all 17 news articles[/SIZE]

More...

[News]: Giant squid found to be fast and ferocious - Science Daily (press release)

Giant squid found to be fast and ferocious
[SIZE=-1]Science Daily (press release) - 13 hours ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Intelligence of squid and octopuses -- The cephalopod class of mollusks are considered the most intelligent invertebrates and an important example of ...[/SIZE]

More...

[News]: Monster Glowing Squid Caught on Camera - National Geographic

Monster Glowing Squid Caught on Camera
[SIZE=-1]National Geographic, DC - 14 hours ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The footage shows the animals—Dana octopus squid, or Taningia danae—targeting prey with bright flashes of light emitted from their arms. ...[/SIZE]

More...

[News]: Great Squid! - Plenty Magazine

Great Squid!
[SIZE=-1]Plenty Magazine, NY - 12 hours ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Watch the cephalopod in action. The eight-armed creature may also use bioluminescence to judge the distance to its meal and to communicate, the researchers ...[/SIZE]

More...

[News]: A very Bright Squid - Technocrat.net

A very Bright Squid
[SIZE=-1]Technocrat.net, MA - 11 hours ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Big squids have been caught on video using a very bright "flash" to startle their prey before grabbing them. It's quite a spectacular display. ...[/SIZE]

More...

Steve O'Shea;87680 said:
I think we should too, because this is not the first, nor will it be the last we hear from or about him!

This is actually based on footage several years ago ... and he's out there still; imagine what other 'little' surprises he has up his sleeves!

In fact, we should immortalise him with a Dr Kubodera emoticon! (Neil has one!)

Agreed! Maybe we should also make him an honorary supporter or something. He sure gives us enough to talk about. Maybe we could even convince him to join!

Yes, Sorseress! Dr. Kubodera's work has provided us with thrilling matrerial and answered prayers over the last four years. Any chance he could do some kind of online Q&A here, someday?

Steve, if Ku got these T. danae images whilst doing a serious survey of the teuthid fauna near Ogasawara, I'm betting he's got big surprises in store. It's almost like a drumbeat. And, I'd kill to see it all in IMAX 3-D.:shock:

Cheers,
Clem

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back