[News]: Taningia attacks!

I saw this footage last year; it is truly sensational! Hat off to Ku again!!

The amazing footage, or at least sections of, is available to watch on New Scientists website. If your computer can play MOV files you should be able to watch the footage. Here's a link.

[News]: Giant squid caught on camera - ITV.com

Giant squid caught on camera
[SIZE=-1]ITV.com, UK - 3 hours ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The squid was caught attacking bait and emitting short bright light flashes, possibly to attract a mate or to communicate. The elusive creature was taped as ...[/SIZE]

More...

WOW! WOW! WOW!

Amazing, and such graceful power. I guess with its equally considerable finsize, this makes Mesonychotheutis the more likely to be an active hunter as well; an exciting concept.

Good to see the old doubledecker in comparison to real life squid representations, this time around :wink:

PS: bar the 8 meter mantle length for M. hamiltonii, obviously,..., or do you think that.... :shock:

I now see that I had overlooked Phil's second post. Looks like there are actually several videos then, -the NewScientist story links to three different ones (and the resolution is better than in the other ones I've seen too). Or are these just outtakes from the video at BBC (which I can't play) or what? Don't want to miss anything.. :razz:

Ok, if anyone would like the full report Hunting behaviour and bioluminescence of a large deep-sea, eight armed squid - Taningia danae, click here. This is straight from the pages of the Royal Society website, but be warned, there is a lack of double-decker bus images though.

Before I read the article I had no idea that this was the first time a living Taningia had ever been filmed in its natural habitat. I think we should start a dedicated Dr Kubodera tribute thread! :notworth:

The article concludes with some very interesting speculation about the hunting strategy of Taningia. As it lacks tentacles, the animals feeding strategy appears to be to rush at its prey whereas most other squid would move in but stand off, using tentacles to sieze and draw prey in and then ensnare with their arms. Taningia has been forced to adapt an entirely different, and highly energetic, attack using arm photophores to dazzle prey and use the image generated to home in. Fascinating stuff.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back