[News]: Taningia attacks!

That, AND the Isla Santa Clara video, if that is anything more than an teuthid myth I seem to have co-created myself :sad:

Steve O'Shea;87680 said:
In fact, we should immortalise him with a Dr Kubodera emoticon! (Neil has one!)

How about something like this? Do you think we need a love heart behind him or wings?

Attachments

• conv_290249.png
    conv_290249.png
    504 bytes · Views: 170
We've certainly had a lot of incredible squid findings lately-first Dr. Kubodera's stills, then the Archi that Dr. Kubodera brought up to the surface... and now this and the huge Messie. I'm stunned and excited.

I've watched each of these videos several times and I'm stunned by the speed and agility of the Taningia, especially considering its massive size. Does anyone know how much of that agility and speed is related directly to the size of its fins? Because those are some huge fins.

It looked as if it had just lost part of an arm. I wonder if the arm severing had anything to do with its insistence investigating. Short clips are so tantalizing.

I did see something that wasn't exactly arm-like too, but I just wrote it off as clinging filth or some sort of under-sea stick substance that just floats around.

But seeing at how prodding with the mechanical arm didn't faze it, the now 7-armed squid probably hunts and swims alright.

But why is it so interested in the ROV? It's too big to be edible and the first few nips should give it the indication that big-metal-thing is not even if it wanted to see if it's edible.

It most probably went for the lights themselves; mating behaviour? I am also impressed with the eyelid control it exerts (and how fragile its skin is, as in most squid).

Here's a Taningia video I hadn't seen. Recorded 5/05/2010, uploader identifies the site as below a rig in the Gulf of Mexico. Nice, sustained view of the squid hovering below the camera mount, steadily flashing its arm-tip photophores.

Clem

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back