[NEWS] Huge Moroteuthis caught by fishermen

one of my coworkers just got back from a big fishing trip in mexico. he caught a few humbolt squid. they arent 40 feet long, but theyre massive compared to anything ive ever seen in person

Hi Keith -- cool -- I've never seen one in person myself. Humbolts are Dosidicus gigas a.k.a. jumbo squid. Seems there has been a population burst of these guys on the southern coast of California in recent years.

The World Link said:
the ends of which have powerful clublike hooks used for grasping its prey

Um... what exactly is a 'club-like hook'? Couldn't be 'clubhook' squid because of hooks *on* the tentacle clubs, nooo.... :roll:
Oh well, onychoteuthids in the press - yay!

Keith;119377 said:
yea they're pretty big. ive heard that they have a reputation for ripping oxygen masks off of divers. any truth in that?
Not a lot, divers breathe pressured air, hardly ever pure oxygen :wink:

Divers should always attempt to keep their Fio2 below 160 kPa (On a more serious note)

But all jest left aside, Dosidicus has been shown to be fairly aggressive, hunting en masse. I think using the term in packs suggests a level of social interaction between the squid that I'm not 100% sure of. Whether the flashing of colour indicates communication with other squid or merely a mesmerising factor towards intended prey items, I am not sure of either.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back