[News]: Giant Squid Deaths Puzzle Scientists

OK, really interesting; nice bit of skin on the mantle of the illustrated specimen, but there still appears to be a lot of skin abrasion that is consistent with having been through a trawl (and having been discarded).

Can anyone tell me if any new fishery (or established fishery) operating ~ 250-600 metres occurs off this coast, and what the local bathymetry is off this area?

We've now had five caught here over the past few months (winter-spawning population). If these are females (they have to be, the one ~ 40 feet in length) then they are FULLY mature (and likely spent). If these are true strandings (as in stranding post portem, natural mortality) then this female must be spent. Does anyone have any contact details/persons so that we can get to the bottom of the autopsy?

Money on it that the regularity in periodicity of capture is related to the breeding cycle of the animal in the general vicinity (rather than global warming ... I doubt this to be the case).
Cheers (great post)
O

Ogross,

Thanks for posting that ENN/Reuters item. While I'm sure his heart is in the right place, I think Mr. Laria's categorical claim that sonar killed these Architeuthis is indefensible. Unless he personally examined the dead squid and determined which physical structures were compromised by the Hesperides sonar (something most every teuthologist would love to know about), blaming the ship's sonar smacks of agenda-driven opportunism.

It's odd that neither Reuters story has mentioned the two possible causes of death which Steve O'Shea suggested: that the squid were trawled in nets and discarded, or that they died after spawning. Perhaps Mr. Laria was uncomfortable laying blame on the local fisheries or discussing Archie's sex life, but I suspect that he's simply out of his depth.

:x

Clem

download.php

One of the giant squid that was collected in the Asturian region of Spain made its way to the Musée de la Mer in Biarritz, in 2002. Click here to see photos of the squid in its acrylic sarcophagus, and navigate to other aspects of the presentation using the menu at the bottom of the page. Concours de dessin is a gallery of children's drawings of the squid.

These French-language cephalopod posters are too damn good looking. Will you look at the colors on that poster? It's beautiful. I want it.

:yelling:

Clem, screaming "WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN'--"

Clem said:
:yelling:

Clem, screaming "WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN'--"

Clem,

My Dad always used to say, usually when one of us Kids had been whining all day "I want doesn't get"!

Nevertheless I

"WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN'--" too!!!!

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back