[News] Giant ammonite revealed in Dorset, UK.

Steve O'Shea;93173 said:
You are a naughty lot! Magdalena is my sister!

Umm.... when she told you "I am sorry, it is because you are like a brother to me", that had to be seen in a totally different context :wink:

Maggy is simply too polite to say that Neil Diamond T-shirts just don't do it for her...

OK, enough of this! We're a ceph site :biggrin2:

Magdalena O'Shea? There can't be many of those to the pound.

Leaving aside the admittedly quite diverting Ms. Klag, what do we make of the ammonite? Is this really Titanites? I thought initially it must be Parapuzosia as it's the largest chalk ammonite I can think of. Even so, this must be pushing for the record if it is one of those.

Unless, of course, Ms. Klag is about 18 inches tall.

Oh dear, answering my own question immediately.

Yes, it probably is Titanites giganteus or Titanites anguiformis; here are more examples from the same region:

http://www.soton.ac.uk/~bam2/col-index/fossi-lindex/ammonites/pages/Titanites.htm

and:

Fossils of the Portland Group - by Ian West

Oh dear, if I'd re-read the article properly I would have noted that the thing was found in limestone, not chalk. What makes it worse is that I used to visit Christchurch as I had a good friend who lived there - I should have remembered. Doh!

Phil;93239 said:
Oh dear, answering my own question immediately.

Yes, it probably is Titanites giganteus or Titanites anguiformis; here are more examples from the same region:

http://www.soton.ac.uk/~bam2/col-index/fossi-lindex/ammonites/pages/Titanites.htm

and:

Fossils of the Portland Group - by Ian West

Oh dear, if I'd re-read the article properly I would have noted that the thing was found in limestone, not chalk. What makes it worse is that I used to visit Christchurch as I had a good friend who lived there - I should have remembered. Doh!

You were just distracted by the lovely Magdalana :biggrin2: .

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back