News forum and Octobot updates

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Site Owner
TONMO began as a cephalopod news resource, and in fact, it still is. :smile: The way cephalopod-related News has been treated on TONMO has evolved over the years, and I've just made another change which I think will be for the better.

News now has its own tab, and the contents posted there are separated from the rest of Forum content. So, as a TONMO member, when you look at the list of new posts in our forums, you will not see items that are posted in the News area.

Instead, the News area will have its own list of topics which are updated regularly (at least daily).

Primarily, Octobot still controls what is posted as News, but these contents are moderated by TONMO staff. News will no longer be posted as a reply to the "Octobot Newsfeed" thread, instead, it will be posted as a distinct entry (thread) in the News area.

When you are logged in, you will see a notification on the News tab for how many unread news items reside there for you. When the News tab is selected, if you like, you can mark this area as "read" by clicking "Mark Forums Read" on the navigation bar, and choosing "News" to mark only those items as unread. Of course, as you read each news item it will be marked read as well.

I'll continue to make tweaks to the way this area is presented. Thanks for reading this far! :read:

Can we have more text in the news entries? This shorter version makes it harder to cull the off topic entries. It is not too bad for duplicates but too short to get a feel for the actual topic.

Yep, more work to do here as noted. Right now I'm looking at:
- news sources (which may end up making our other issues moot)
- longer previews
- strip or support html

More to come I'm sure.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back