[NEWS]: Falkland Islands Architeuthis

Stretch your hamstrings my good doctor, if im not mistaken, tight hamstrings are among the leading causes of back pain....

cant wrestle those :mesonych: if youre not in fighting shape!

What strings? Where do I find those? Not sure if I have any actually; can't find the label anyway.

The vertebrae are all over the show I'm afraid, to the left, to the right, popping out and poking in. I think the stretching rack is a better proposition - might get rid of this headache too.

You just need a nice soothing massage to relax those verts...maybe listen to some Neil Diamond.
hehe.

Re: (NEWS): Falkland Islands Architeuthis

Phil said:
An Architeuthis was captured in waters around the South Atlantic Falkland Islands on 5th March...From the photo it looks like a biggie.....
...and it's using children as human shields. Will these depraved Falkland squid stop at nothing?

Clem

I would not advise that this 'giant' squid be used for human consumption as the flesh contains a high level of ammonia.

All I can imagine now is a plate full of the biggest calamari in the world surrounded by a great many green-faced diners. Are such high ammonia levels (meaning indigestible amounts) unique to squid like Architeuthis, or is it just a proportionate ratio thing?

BigSquid

Many species of squid have high concentrations of ammonium ions in their tissues that make them more buoyant (e.g. Taningia danae, Ancistrocheirus lesueuri); others have a coelom within the mantle cavity filled with fluids that have very high ammonium concentrations (e.g. members of the family Cranchiidae). For more info on ammonium in squid, see:

Clarke, M.R.; Denton, E.J.; Gilpin-Brown, J.B. 1979. On the use of ammonium for buoyancy in squids. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom 59: 259–276.

:read:

Yes indeed.

All the major papers carried articles today, including the Daily Mail (Groan!) who report that in the 1930's a Norwegian Tanker was attacked by a Giant Squid! :roll:

Dub_doctor,

A quick word of advice. Get to the BMNH as early as you can, find the Darwin Centre and book yourself on a tour. Only a dozen or so people are allowed in every half an hour and it can get busy sometimes. It can be booked solid by 13:00, and that's without the attraction of the Architeuthis. You can spend the intervening time wandering around that magnificent museum.

If you turn up at 2:30 you could be disappointed.

Hope you make it, look forward to your report.

Phil

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back