[NEWS]: Falkland Islands Architeuthis

BigSquid8Me

Blue Ring
Registered
I would not advise that this 'giant' squid be used for human consumption as the flesh contains a high level of ammonia.

All I can imagine now is a plate full of the biggest calamari in the world surrounded by a great many green-faced diners. Are such high ammonia levels (meaning indigestible amounts) unique to squid like Architeuthis, or is it just a proportionate ratio thing?

BigSquid

Tintenfisch

Architeuthis
Staff member
Many species of squid have high concentrations of ammonium ions in their tissues that make them more buoyant (e.g. Taningia danae, Ancistrocheirus lesueuri); others have a coelom within the mantle cavity filled with fluids that have very high ammonium concentrations (e.g. members of the family Cranchiidae). For more info on ammonium in squid, see:

Clarke, M.R.; Denton, E.J.; Gilpin-Brown, J.B. 1979. On the use of ammonium for buoyancy in squids. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom 59: 259–276.

:read:

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
Very cool -- thanks for the follow-up on this, Phil! Lots of interest in this story over in the UK...

Yes indeed.

All the major papers carried articles today, including the Daily Mail (Groan!) who report that in the 1930's a Norwegian Tanker was attacked by a Giant Squid! :roll:

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Dub_doctor,

A quick word of advice. Get to the BMNH as early as you can, find the Darwin Centre and book yourself on a tour. Only a dozen or so people are allowed in every half an hour and it can get busy sometimes. It can be booked solid by 13:00, and that's without the attraction of the Architeuthis. You can spend the intervening time wandering around that magnificent museum.

If you turn up at 2:30 you could be disappointed.

Hope you make it, look forward to your report.

Phil

Latest Posts