[News]: Cuttlefish at risk from desalination plant: biologist - ABC Online

octobot

Robotic Staff
Staff member
Robotic Staff
Cuttlefish at risk from desalination plant

A marine biologist says BHP Billiton's proposed desalination plant in Upper Spencer Gulf could wipe out the cuttlefish population off Whyalla.

The sea around Whyalla is the world's largest cuttlefish breeding zone.

Adelaide University Associate Professor Bronwyn Gillanders says cuttlefish only breed once in their lifetime.

She says if increased salt levels caused by the proposed plant negatively affect the cuttlefish reproductive process, the entire population could be devastated.

"I'm particularly concerned about them at that Point Lowly, Port Bonython area because that's where they aggregate," she said.

"We do know that they breed in other places but nowhere near the hundreds and thousands that they do at Point Lowly."

BHP says its research shows that increased salt levels caused by the plant will not affect local sealife.

Ms Gillanders says unlike fish, increased salt levels may be disastrous for cuttlefish.

"Squids and cuttlefish are generally short-lived," she said.

"They live a year. They breed only once. So if you damage the eggs or affect their reproductive ability then potentially that will have devastating consequences for the population."

The South Australian Government has given BHP Billiton permission to build a pilot plant to see if the proposal will work.

:mad: :banghead: :thumbsdo:

[News]: Whyalla council up-beat about cuttlefish future - ABC Regional Online

Whyalla council up-beat about cuttlefish future
[SIZE=-1]ABC Regional Online, Australia - Apr 16, 2007[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Whyalla council says it is confident that BHP Billiton's proposed desalination plant near the city on Spencer Gulf will not destroy the local cuttlefish ...[/SIZE]

More...

Whyalla council up-beat about cuttlefish future

Whyalla council says it is confident that BHP Billiton's proposed desalination plant near the city on Spencer Gulf will not destroy the local cuttlefish population.

A marine biologist says if brine from the plant hits the cuttlefish's reproduction process, it could devastate the population.

Mayor Jim Pollock says Whyalla's cuttlefish are too important to lose, but so far nothing he has seen shows the desalination plant could harm local sea life.

"The proposed desal plant on the Lowly Peninsula is in close proximity to the cuttlefish colony, but let me say that there have been tests on the prawns, the fin fish, the scale fish and the cuttlefish and the results to date show that there hasn't been any major effect on the cuttlefish," he said.

He says he has been assured local sea life will not be impacted.

"We've made it loud and clear that our cuttlefish are so important to this region and Whyalla's tourism factor, but I have no doubts in my mind that BHP Billiton will be looking after all of our interests."

6B50D-bribe.gif

coupon-bribe.gif

:banghead:

By the time all the cuttlelfish have flipped over, underside of their mantle up, it'll be too late to say "Ooops, we screwed up." What a great world we live in.

I definitely think we should pull together as a community do to something about this. A simple online petition to start, maybe write some letters and make them available online, see if its possible to get some form of promotion on TONMO front page. More thoughts (and action) later. :roll:

Cheers!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back