[News]: Alien-like Squid Filmed at Ultra-Deep Oil-Drilling Site - National Geographi

octobot

Robotic Staff
Staff member
Robotic Staff
Alien-like Squid Filmed at Ultra-Deep Oil-Drilling Site
[SIZE=-1]National Geographic, DC - 13 hours ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]In a brief video from the dive recently obtained by National Geographic News, one of the rarely seen squid loiters above the seafloor in the Gulf of Mexico ...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]PHOTOS: Alien-like Squid Seen at Deep Drilling Site [SIZE=-1]National Geographic[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]all 2 news articles[/SIZE]

More...

[News]: Rare Giant Squid Found Near Houston! - Houston Press

Rare Giant Squid Found Near Houston!
[SIZE=-1]Houston Press, TX - 12 hours ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]A rare giant squid -- a squid with elbows -- has been sighted in the Houston area. It's called the Megapinna squid and even the stoic National Geographic ...[/SIZE]

More...

[News]: Magnapinna - hideously ugly alien squid video - The Inquisitr

Magnapinna - hideously ugly alien squid video
[SIZE=-1]The Inquisitr, Australia - 1 hour ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]A Magnapinna squid has been captured on video by Shell, the oil company some mile and a half (two and a half kilometers) underwater. ...[/SIZE]

More...

My son and I just got sent this video since we are on the "squid" list. Does anyone have any additional information on the this type of squid? It is an amazing looking animal.:bugout:

Nobody knows! It has been filmed a few times and was discussed very briefly here and in a few other threads that I can't find. No specimens have ever been captured for examination, so all that's known so far is what's visible in the videos. In addition to the very strange 'elbows' and extremely long trailing arms, all ten arms/tentacles appear identical - another trait unknown in any other squid.

baldtankman;128436 said:
What's the story with the elbows?

Elbows are clearly an adaptation enabling a wine glass to be lifted to the mouth. Unfortunately in this video, the trailing arms reach below the field of view of the camera, so the wine glasses cannot be seen. Excessive wine drinking (obvious really as no squid needs that many identical arms and tentacles), leads to the habit of trailing the arms pathetically downwards - bald observations of other tank specimens suggests this leads to knuckle dragging.

[News]: The Magnapinna Squid is One Crazy Looking Creature - CollegeOTR

The Magnapinna Squid is One Crazy Looking Creature
[SIZE=-1]CollegeOTR, NY - 20 hours ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Thanks to a Shell oil company remotely operated vehicle at a deep drilling site, scientists have obtained a video of a badass rare squid called the ...[/SIZE]

More...

I fear that to understand the above described "drinking like a squid" wine bias, one must assume the poor squid to surely have become an ailing administrator squid rather than a young research God squid, over time :wink:

PS: In the video, one can see that the arms are of unequal length in this particular case, one is a stub, two arms ( visible in shot 00:07/00:08) are clearly longer. Tentacles? I doubt it, but I think the squid suffers predation and so sometimes arms get chewed off by whatever is eating these beautiful (indeed, Kat) creatures.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back