[News]: 300 octopuses stretch 2400 tiny arms in Dana Point - Los Angeles Times

This is the aquarium where we found the longest-lived bimac, well over two years. And they've had several that have lived that long, in near-perfect conditions.

Nancy

Are these small egged babies? Where is the Dana Point Ocean Institute? I know how hopeless it is, but after my experience with the aculeatus eggs, I'm really interested in how the experts do this, mostly for the sake of interest.

Sedna, there are two bimac species (Octopus bimaculatus, Octopus bimaculoides). One is a large egged and the other a small egged species. The literature has it that they are almost indistinguishable as adults. There has been a fair amount of success raising the large egged young (If I remember correctly, Zyan Silver had 100 to survive over a month and at least 50 of those long enough to find aquarium homes). Since the Dana Point Ocean Institute expects to raise them, I suspect they are the large egged species.

Roy, you have mentioned not overfeeding in the past but could you give more detail. Are you referring to frequency (twice a week vs daily) or quantity? Also, does this apply to the young or only after they are 6 months or more old?

I phoned there a few years ago to verify that their octopuses had really lived two years. They keep an O. bimaculoides which they caught themselves. They have had more than one live over two years.

The eyespots on O. bimauloides and O. bimaculatus are slightly different.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back