Newby Just Saying "Hi."

beffie

Hatchling
Registered
Hey, I'm a newbie who found this message board while researching keeping cephs. I've got a lot to learn as I've never run a saltwater tank. I've done quite a few freshwater cichlid tanks successfully. I am fascinated by cephs so, in time (i.e. - when I have more money!), I'd like to start a salt tank, learn the ropes, then set it up for cephs and then get either a cuttlefish or an octopus. I'm also an educator so it might be cool to run a saltwater aquarium in my classroom, even though I teach math. :grad:

I'll probably lurk for now. Glad this board is out there.

Welcome to TONMO.com beffie!

Hmm... With their eight tentacles, 3 hearts, and tens of thousands of eggs, I'm sure you could keep your math students occupied with a tank containing a few octopuses... :biggrin2:

beffie,
I had to say Howdy from a displaced Texan! I hope to be back there soon - maybe teaching in Houston or (even better) Austin in a couple of years. You found a great site here.

Visit Nueva Leon and drink a Rita for me ...
Hook 'em,
-Gayla

I have freshwater fish also...what kind of cichlids??? I am breeding kribensis and J. ornatus now, in addition to the bichirs and of course, ceph tanks...who needs a wave machine in this house!?
Glad you found us...you will see that this is a great mix of eclectic, intelligent and curious people...after all, don't we resemble our pets?
Greg

....actually, funny you should bring cichlids up, coz I got kicked out of the Texas cichlid society for killing my larval Architeuthis (not deliberately of course) .... and I wasn't even a member.

I think they just banned me from ever becoming one :cry: .

maybe im just hopelessly ignorant, but is there ANY connection between a freshwater fish and a saltwater ceph (as opposed to all those freshwater kinds :smile: )?

you have to use filters. I guess that is about it...sorry...I just got excited there for a minute! :smile:
Hey, wouldn't freshwater octos be a kick??? No more mixing, etc...ah, well. Back to the water changes!
Greg

Welcome to TONMO, where the past, present, and future is cephalopods...

I'm John, AKA "Fujisawa's Sake", and I am a Californian who lives on the North Coast, so a foggy, cold "hello" from the redwood rainforest...

Keep your hands and feet inside at all times, and get ready for a wild ride!

Sushi and Sake, but hold the Tako Yaki

John

WhiteKiboko said:
maybe im just hopelessly ignorant, but is there ANY connection between a freshwater fish and a saltwater ceph (as opposed to all those freshwater kinds :smile: )?

YES!

Let's play "Six Degrees of Cephs"....

And yes, I would LOVE to find evidence of freshwater or brackish cephs (or maybe even the elusive LAND SQUID - Kinda like a land shark... or a loan shark... *shrugs*)

Oh like the land squids that live in the forest??? I loved that theory! It is unusual though, that cephalopods never branched into freshwater...after all, most of the other mollusks did...Hey, maybe there is a new species out there just waiting for us!
Greg

Fujisawas Sake said:
And yes, I would LOVE to find evidence of freshwater or brackish cephs (or maybe even the elusive LAND SQUID - Kinda like a land shark... or a loan shark... *shrugs*)

For the last time: there is no such thing as a "land-squid." It is a figment of the drunken imagination of tree-blind loggers driven mad by endless expanses of bark and moss.

Beffie, welcome to TONMO.

Yours truly,

Clem

Always leave it to Tony to top it all! LOL ! Hey, I can keep one in our solarium!
Greg

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back