• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Newbie with octopus and eggs

I've read that ocotpuses come out of their dens when it's time to go, which is backed up by our TONMO experiences. I don't know whether that's true in all cases, or just most of the time, but it's unlikely that your octo will die in her den.

Nancy

More Pics

Here are some more pics. Starting to get some pigment, seem to be eating and doing well at this point.

Attachments

• conv_289087.jpg
    conv_289087.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 87
  • conv_289088.jpg
    conv_289088.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 84
  • conv_289089.jpg
    conv_289089.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 119
It is with a heavy heart that I post today, I have needed to calm down... On Tuesday I found out that my well-meaning and excited customer was apparently anxious that the babies would have food over the weekend and decided to put several pieces of silversides and krill into the aquarium for the babies to nibble on (I guess with the idea that since that was what we had been feeding the parents maybe these tiny babies would eat it as well...) ?!?! I had thought we were all clear about what the babies were eating... Needless to say, with the flow turned so far down, the dead fish and shrimp quickly started to break down and caused an ammonia surge which killed everything. Hopefully this can be a learning experience and will not be repeated. FWIW I do feel that there was a very good chance at success in this endeavor.

With Regrets,

Tim

So sorry to hear this. :sad: We've been encouraged by your success and hope you get the opportunity to try again.

People don't understand how fragile these saltwater environments are and how easy it is to make a mistake.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back