Newbie Intro

Octodude

Blue Ring
Registered
Hi all. I hope to be an addition here, and bring a little something to the board. I SCUBA dive and do saltwater tanks (as I'm sure many of you here do as well:wink:). I am also studying to do underwater photography and am after a degree in Marine Zoology, specifically cephalopod biology. I hope I can be helpful here.:smile:

Animal Mother;114173 said:
Sure thing. We look forward to any and everything you can contribute! Everybody likes good pictures too, so if you have any you've taken please share.

No camera OR cephs at the moment. School is too demanding. I have a 29 gallon reef tank. Very simple. I have a psychedelic dragonet, maroon clown, Condy anemone, Crimson shrimp, pearly jawfish, red skunkshrimp, and a green clown blenny. As well as assorted crabs and snails. I'm really proud of the dragonet. Got her to trigger readily at frozen mysis shrimp as well as live.

I think the advice about dragonets being kept solitary may be reverse of what is best for them. Mine learned to eat frozen from a seahorse and then taught her newly introduced mate very quickly. I have since lost my female but the male has always eaten frozen mysis and Cyclop-eeze since his introduction to tank life, two years ago.

Hmm. That is indeed interesting. I've never heard of them exibiting that behavior. This tank is so sparcely populated that it is similar to them being alone though. Mine is very personable. She likes to come up to the glass whenever I walk by. She even dislplays for me every once in a while. Sad about your female. I've been waiting to get this little gal for some time, and I hope she stays with me for a while.

Dini (dragonnett) and Trigger (erectus seahorse) were quite a pair. At first I was afraid Trigger was interested in harming the fish because he paid such obvious attention. Our guess is that he noticed that live food would come out where the fish traveled but it was more interesting when we realized that Dini was also watching what Trigger ate and began eating the frozen mysis. I suspect there is a lot of mixed species observation that we miss, particularly with octopuses.

Yes, that is probably true. Pretty much fact really. You can tell this by simply observing your own octos. The ones I have kept all seem to love to people-watch. one even liked TV! Very interesting to see how they react to certain species introductions.

I was thinking about your comment. Could it be similar to mammal impressionism (unsure of proper term) where an animal like a rabbit associates with dogs, after an interval of observation?

Octodude,
I am not sure but the degree of attention was too strong to misunderstand it. I have not seen any other of my assorted critters do anything similar but believe it happens on a less observable level. One of my reasons for thinking that octopuses may do something similar is the fact that most do not live in colonies and survive on a variety of foods (depending on availability in the area). It would make an interesting study. There have been studies to attempt observational learning octopus to octopus (with mixed results) but I have not seen any mention of octopus observing other, not considered food, creatures.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back