• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

New Zebra O. chierchiae (now trying breeding!)

Rearing O. chierchiae

Colin,

That has always been the plan. This is a small, attractive, reasonably hardy octopus with demersal young and and a relatively short development time. The only thing that could be better would be if they were strictly diurnal, but at least they sit in ambush at the entrance of their cavity during the day so you can usually see them. This is not an octopus that people are going to be able to interact with, but for those who want to be able to keep a small octopus in a reasonably size tank (probably as small as 10-15 gal), it will probably turn out to be a good solution. And of course there is the added benefit that a female will not die after one reproductive event so you can observe the entire reproductive cycle at least three or four times.

There may be a couple of glitches that could nix the whole concept. I'm not going to discuss them yet until I'm sure, but don't plan on rushing down to your local LFS to purchase a cultured O. chierchiae..

Another serious issue is inbreeding. So far, all the hatchlings that Rich and I have are from one female and three males. We have yet to rear these juveniles to reproductive size, and even if we succeed, we have no idea how severe inbreeding depression might be. This is why I was so disappointed that we couldn't get one of Jon's hatchlings last spring. We desperately need genetic diversity!

And finally there is the issue of price. I had no idea how labor intensive and expensive it might be to rear these guys. The hatchlings require live prey from day one and daily care. I figure I have spent on average about 3 minutes a day per hatchling.. Let's say we considered them marketable at 100 days. That is about 6 hours per hatchling and at a salary of $10 per hour (not counting our time supervising ), that would be $60 each plus live food, aquarium supplies and maintenance. Then there is the cost of brood stock, if any more could ever be found, shipping,, etc., etc. Suddenly we are looking at a 1 cm octopus that costs well over $100 a piece. I think I just talked myself out of a new career!

Roy

To add on to what Roy said, I think the real issue at this point is broodstock. If anyone has a line on any wild specimens please let us know.

yeah, that will always be a problem with CB cephalopods - so much care and attention goes into the brood that they price themselves out of the market.

So, no more adults turned up?

perhaps at the same time next year?

There is only one collector collecting them and he is 'hard to work with', so we'll see.

I think there is a market for these guys (based on the email requests I have been getting since this thread started :biggrin2: ). Given the market for captive raised bandensis, I think we could be selling these guys for what they are worth before 100 days. It just an issue of stock...

From our experience rearing these guys, my guess is that selling them at 3 months would be about right. There seems to be a "hump" at around 50 days that you have to get over. Rodinache reported this in his paper and I found the same thing. However, after a couple of months, the mortality fell off and the juveniles are easier to care for. They still require small live food, so anyone committed to caring for one would need a supply of amphipods, mysids, etc.

Again, octo lovers should not get there hopes up. We still have not reared any O. chierchiae to sexual maturity - let alone successfully bred them. I am very concerned about inbreeding depression, so PLEASE keep an eye out for new stock! Without it, I think are chances of supplying these guys are small. With a few more animals, there is a possibility that this might happen as early as next fall.

Roy

Roy

Have you tried getting them on frozen mysids? My cuttles went for Piscine Energetics Mysids before they would go for any other kind. Have you reached the point yet they they can move on to bigger food? Or do the adults eat mysids as well?

Sorry, I haven't been following this thread much either so I don't know if the questions have been addressed already.

Nick

Richard,
I have found that a large, long plastic (clear or almost) pipette works very well where anything else I have tried has failed (particulrarly with the dwarfs) when first trying to feed an octo dead stuff (I started by using an air line with Trapper but the pipette works far better). The pipette works well since you can cram part into the hole but still have something hanging out that wiggles and the plastic seems attractive to the touch (no clue as to why).

Hey everybody i havent been on in a long time and im not sure how to use the new site so I'm just going to add to the forum that's already started here but i have incredible news!

charlotte is still alive and well and I have one baby left from her first clutch who has survived and has gotten to a decent size. Sadly when i got back from my visit to california something raised the Ammonia in my tank and I lost all but 1.....

Heres the news....

charlotte has somehow given birth again! I have no idea how this is possible considering there is no known male in the tank with her and the other little baby is in a breeder net where it cannot get out into the tank. Unless there is a little octo that survived that i am not aware of i don't know how this happened but she has so far had 4 little inklets and i havent seen any evidence of any more showing up. The question I am wondering is are cephalopods capable or parthenogenesis?? That is the only explanation i have been able to come up with so far. Oh and if i can keep these 4 little ones are still alive I am still very much interested in contributing to the gene pool thales!

Jon Crossan;127602 said:
Hey everybody i havent been on in a long time and im not sure how to use the new site so I'm just going to add to the forum that's already started here but i have incredible news!

charlotte is still alive and well and I have one baby left from her first clutch who has survived and has gotten to a decent size. Sadly when i got back from my visit to california something raised the Ammonia in my tank and I lost all but 1.....

Heres the news....

charlotte has somehow given birth again! I have no idea how this is possible considering there is no known male in the tank with her and the other little baby is in a breeder net where it cannot get out into the tank. Unless there is a little octo that survived that i am not aware of i don't know how this happened but she has so far had 4 little inklets and i havent seen any evidence of any more showing up. The question I am wondering is are cephalopods capable or parthenogenesis?? That is the only explanation i have been able to come up with so far. Oh and if i can keep these 4 little ones are still alive I am still very much interested in contributing to the gene pool thales!

That's great to hear!

Since this species is one of the few (the only?) species that can brood more than once, I don't know how much this applies, but in other octopus species, the females can store sperm for a very long time, so she may still be using sperm from before you got her. I'm fairly sure there's never been any parthenogenesis seen in cephalopods, but often when I say things like that a real expert tells me I'm wrong.

Great news, in any case, and thanks for keeping us informed!

Jon, these octos can produce several clutches from a single mating. Its documented in the single paper we have found about them.

Same offer as before - we would love to add your hatchlings (both current and older) to our effort. The earlier you send them out the better. You should still have all the contact info and instruction son how to send them from the last time you offered to send them, but let me know if you need any of that again ([email protected]).

Thanks
Rich

Im pretty sure i still have all the information so I'll let you know how the progress goes, now that I have more experience I think I'll be able to do a better job of keeping these little guys alive.

The one from her first clutch is about the size of a nickel now and eats nonstop.
I just made an order for more mysis shrimp for the babies so keep your fingers crossed for me!

Jon, I encourage you send them out almost immediately. If you are willing to put them into the effort, I am not sure what hanging onto them accomplishes. Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back