• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

New Zebra O. chierchiae (now trying breeding!)

Richard,
Did you see the male "grow" a shoulder? One of Muctopus' articles mentions a "pump" (there is a second word that I have forgotten) and I could see this effect when HideNSeek and Miss Broody mated a second time (it looked like he was filling the arm at the mantle). Please do post the video soon as I am curious to compare it with my Mercs' mating vs the aggressive Merc mating that Roy described.

Also, is it known if the male is usually much smaller than the female or is it assumed that these are different ages?

:smile:Wow this is incredible what are the odds of you guys finding a female and a male and mating them! And this means since they can have multiple clutches that i'm guessing we are going to have multiple little chierchiaes later on in the future. Also from your descriptions they dont sound like they are full grown yet, charley is a little bit bigger than a silver dollar so I think they have some reoom to grow :smile:

this is great i cant wait to see more pics and here more!

p.s. charley is doing just fine :smile:

Roy looked at his footage and said that the spermatophore was not passed - it was ejected by the female. We will try again in a week or two. It may also be the case that she is already carrying. We'll see!

The odds of finding two of the same species at the same time is amazing to me. (oooo, lots of cuttle sex going on at the moment). To me, being able to only find single specimens of a species is depressing.

Oh - Nancy, it might be a good idea to change the title of this thread now that we have a positive ID. :biggrin2:

The girl has been 'pacing' for the last few hours. Both of them attacked and ate crabs. The crabs died almost immediately after being bitten. I love their mantles are semi transparent.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back