• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $25/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crypto!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

New Zebra O. chierchiae (now trying breeding!)

Hey everybody i havent been on in a long time and im not sure how to use the new site so I'm just going to add to the forum that's already started here but i have incredible news!

charlotte is still alive and well and I have one baby left from her first clutch who has survived and has gotten to a decent size. Sadly when i got back from my visit to california something raised the Ammonia in my tank and I lost all but 1.....

Heres the news....

charlotte has somehow given birth again! I have no idea how this is possible considering there is no known male in the tank with her and the other little baby is in a breeder net where it cannot get out into the tank. Unless there is a little octo that survived that i am not aware of i don't know how this happened but she has so far had 4 little inklets and i havent seen any evidence of any more showing up. The question I am wondering is are cephalopods capable or parthenogenesis?? That is the only explanation i have been able to come up with so far. Oh and if i can keep these 4 little ones are still alive I am still very much interested in contributing to the gene pool thales!

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
Jon Crossan;127602 said:
Hey everybody i havent been on in a long time and im not sure how to use the new site so I'm just going to add to the forum that's already started here but i have incredible news!

charlotte is still alive and well and I have one baby left from her first clutch who has survived and has gotten to a decent size. Sadly when i got back from my visit to california something raised the Ammonia in my tank and I lost all but 1.....

Heres the news....

charlotte has somehow given birth again! I have no idea how this is possible considering there is no known male in the tank with her and the other little baby is in a breeder net where it cannot get out into the tank. Unless there is a little octo that survived that i am not aware of i don't know how this happened but she has so far had 4 little inklets and i havent seen any evidence of any more showing up. The question I am wondering is are cephalopods capable or parthenogenesis?? That is the only explanation i have been able to come up with so far. Oh and if i can keep these 4 little ones are still alive I am still very much interested in contributing to the gene pool thales!

That's great to hear!

Since this species is one of the few (the only?) species that can brood more than once, I don't know how much this applies, but in other octopus species, the females can store sperm for a very long time, so she may still be using sperm from before you got her. I'm fairly sure there's never been any parthenogenesis seen in cephalopods, but often when I say things like that a real expert tells me I'm wrong.

Great news, in any case, and thanks for keeping us informed!

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Jon, these octos can produce several clutches from a single mating. Its documented in the single paper we have found about them.

Same offer as before - we would love to add your hatchlings (both current and older) to our effort. The earlier you send them out the better. You should still have all the contact info and instruction son how to send them from the last time you offered to send them, but let me know if you need any of that again ([email protected]).

Thanks
Rich

Im pretty sure i still have all the information so I'll let you know how the progress goes, now that I have more experience I think I'll be able to do a better job of keeping these little guys alive.

The one from her first clutch is about the size of a nickel now and eats nonstop.
I just made an order for more mysis shrimp for the babies so keep your fingers crossed for me!

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Jon, I encourage you send them out almost immediately. If you are willing to put them into the effort, I am not sure what hanging onto them accomplishes. Thanks!

Thales;125185 said:
BTW, I have gotten a bunch of requests about purchasing some of these animals, and if I didn't respond to all of them I am sorry (been totally swamped!). At this time none are going to be for sale, instead used for study. If some do become available for public consumption, I will post about it here. Thanks for your interest and understanding!

RR

:old: