New Zealand company, Sealord, associated with whaling!

"TOKYO - (May 11, 2006). In an effort to whet an appetite for whale among younger consumers, a new Japanese company is set to expand sales of the meat to include school lunches and some family-oriented restaurant chains. To broaden sales of whale meat, a new company has been set up following the return of Japan's whaling fleet last month from a hunt in which the take of minke whales nearly doubled from the previous year. The new company will start business late next month and hopes to sell 1,000 tons of whale meat over the next year. "Given that our take of whale has doubled this past year, it would be difficult to sell it through the routes we have used up to now," Hattori said, adding that school lunch companies would be charged lower prices for the meat. "We have to preserve this sort of traditional food culture among children."

Hey Steve - I bet these guys could find a way to remove that ammonia smell from Architeuthis and open up a whole new market!

When I first saw this thread, it seemed distant and very unrelated. But it striked me as how closely it actually is in my life when I saw a crate of Hoki Fish Sticks (or something) with the big fat word "SEALORD" stamped on it.

Well, not exactly a worthy contributive post to the thread, but I thought this was marginally on topic and worth sharing.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back