• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

New with babies! Crazy right?

Hello,

My name is Amy and I am not new to saltwater, but definitely new to cephs.

Wasn't sure where to post this, please move if needed.

Anyway, by the luck of where I live, I have recieved 4 baby O. Briareus from Dwhatley. :notworth: (I am sure you have seen her thread)

I just heard of the oppurtunity last nite and after a very limited amount of research, :read: here is what I came up with.

It may sound strange, but raising these guys, seems to be an experimental tasks, and you never know what might work.

I took a 10g tank, added a sponge filter, a cheesy little freshwater carbon and floss filter(right corner in pic), a 3 inch airstone, and a small heater. I put netting over the output lines on both filters to keep the octo's from getting in there.

Next I added a 1g round glass goldfish bowl with a small airstone.

Then I stole some water from my 125g and topped it off with fresh saltwater. Added some lie rock and sand from my 20g and some chaeto(hopefully full of pods) from refugium. I split all this between both tanks.

Then I hung a clamp light about 2-3 ft above the tanks and put a 25w red bulb in there!

Pics to help explain.

Attachments

• conv_304229.jpg
    conv_304229.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 124
  • conv_304230.jpg
    conv_304230.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 135
  • conv_304231.jpg
    conv_304231.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 133
  • conv_304232.jpg
    conv_304232.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 131
Ok, tonite I picked the 4 cute little ones up from D. (she is very helpful and kind and has more tanks than I do. lol)

Brought a styrofoam bait bucket with a battery powered bubbler. D mentoined styrofoam was a bad idea cuz they would be more difficult to remove. (I didn't think of that, newb :lol:)

Well, she put them in anyway and after an hour or so of talking tanks, I took them home.
They seem to have made the trip ok. Our parameters were pretty close, but I drip acclimatd them for about an hour, just to be safe. Then moved them with a turkey baster.

I put 1 in the 1g tank and 3 in the 10g.

I turned all the lights off(except the red one) in the hopes that they will settle in without too much stress.

Now, I am posting this while I give them time to settle in, then I will try to feed them.

I am going to try some frozen cyclopeeze and mysis soaked in vitamin enrichment and garlic.

Anyway, pics before I put them in. My camera wont pick them up in the red light. I will try to get more pics in the am.

Attachments

• conv_296467.jpg
    conv_296467.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 117
  • conv_296468.jpg
    conv_296468.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 120
Welcome! I've moved your thread to the "Raising Octopus from Eggs" forum -- it's both an introduction and an octopus care discussion, but more heavily weighted to the latter -- thanks for posting your pics!!

tonmo;156496 said:
Welcome! I've moved your thread to the "Raising Octopus from Eggs" forum -- it's both an introduction and an octopus care discussion, but more heavily weighted to the latter -- thanks for posting your pics!!

lol For some reason I didn't notice that forum. Oops! Thank you for moving it!

snowmaker;156498 said:
Good luck Amy.
Keep us posted. :smile:

Thank you!

Fed them a little last night and again this morning. If I can see them, I try to direct the food toward them with the pipette. Last night I am pretty sure I saw one grab a mysis. Other than that idk if they are eating. Hope so.

Going to do a water change this morning. I figure the 10g actually has only about 5g in there. Going to do 1/2g w/c on it and about a cup or so on the 1g. Will do this once a day to start and adjust as needed with test results!

Hello Amy. I will be watching your thread close. I too and from ARC and should be getting a couple of the babies from D. Look forward to doing this!

Susann

Fingers crossed! The pics are awesome, but don't compare to seeing them in person! They are sooo cute! I love them already and am hoping that at least one survives!

ayveq;156511 said:
Hello Amy. I will be watching your thread close. I too and from ARC and should be getting a couple of the babies from D. Look forward to doing this!

Susann

sk252006;156521 said:
I am very excited for you. Welcome to the ceph obsession! I look forward to seeing your progress.

Thanks! I'm just hoping there is some progress!

Lmecher;156523 said:
Hi Amy, congratulations and :welcome: to the wonderful world of octopus keeping.
I can't wait to see and hear more. :biggrin2:

Hey girl,

I got all excited when I saw your post on D's thread. Happy to see you here. Also, saw your thread on El Diablo. What a great name for an awesome octopus!

It took me awhile, but I managed to get about 30 or so pods out of my fuge today. Put most in the 10g and a few in the 1g. Hope they find and eat them! Saw one this morning when I fed them, but I think I scared it with the pipette. Haven't seen them since. I hope they will come out tonite.

Also, I am expecting my Clownfish eggs to hatch tonite. I hate to do it, but I am gonna put the larva in for possible octo food! I am trying to decide whether to put a few in at a time, or put them all in there. I just don't want an ammonia spike if the clown babies star dieng.

Also, I think I am going to go ahead and throw some rotifers in there. I don't think the octo's will eat them, but they might, and I will have to add them anyway to keep the clown babies fed.

Any opinions or advice on any of this is welcome! Thanks, Amy

Tested parameters! 10g tank first

Temp 78
Ph 8.4
Ammo. 0
trite0
trate 20 Is this ok? Plan to do a water change anyway, but trates are normally ok for fish, is it ok for octopus?

1g
PH 8.4
ammo. 1.0
Poop! stopped here as I was pretty sure what this meant!
Gently pulled out tank and everything in it. Slowly looking at everything. Got to the bottom and sure enough, I lost one!
Dang it! I guess the 1g was a bad idea.

I hope the good test results in the other tank means the 3 are doing well!?
Lights are out now, except the red one. I sure would like to see some movement soon! Then I can try to feed them again.

So sad that you lost one :sad:
You saw poop? I never saw Ollie's poop during the many months I had him. Not until Diablo and hers is... well you can't miss it. It is a very brave undertaking trying to raise these little ones. I wish you much luck, keeping my :fingerscrossed: the remaining 3 make it. :smile:

I got excited too when I found out you were getting Kooah's babies when only a few (several) months ago you didn't even know where an octoupses mouth was. I am not making fun really, just pointing out how far you've come. Just ask D, I am still learning and have a ways to go. Now I have 1 more friend to share the journey YEAH!

Linda, I think the "poop" in the above mentioned post was an exclamation with language tapered by recording in writing instead of an observation :wink:. I have taken to coloring the letters blue to ensure the verbal expletive is understood :sagrin:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back