KimTexan

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Hello my name is Kim. I live near Dallas, Texas.
I’m a very active member of the Dallas Paleontological Society and frequent contributor to their monthly newsletter. I am a serious amateur paleontologist and an avid fossil collector.
What got me hooked on fossil collecting was finding a 12 inch (30 cm) Eopachydiscus marcianus ammonite while hiking down a creek my freshman year of college in North Central Texas.
Texas has more genus and species of fossilized cephalopods than I’ll ever be able to collect in my lifetime. I spend many weekends out hiking and fossil hunting. I’ll pick up any fossil, but cephalopods are my favorites.

I grew up watching Jacques Cousteau and the Mutual of Omaha nature show on TV and listening to my dad talk about scuba diving. I wanted to become a scuba diver and explore nature and wildlife.

I have 2 B.S. degrees in science. While getting my biology degree I had to do a little marine biology. I’ll never forget the day I was on a biology field trip on a Texas A&M marine research boat near Port Aransas, Texas. I remember inspecting the contents of what the net pulled up. I can’t remember a single thing that was pulled up other than the little cuttlefish. I was instantly mesmerized and captivated by it. I don’t remember anything else about being on that boat except that beautiful, fascinating creature.

Attachments

• 4136450A-A804-47C8-8ED7-FADCC01320E7.jpeg
    4136450A-A804-47C8-8ED7-FADCC01320E7.jpeg
    277.5 KB · Views: 122
  • 5C4FCCFF-C772-4024-A3CB-F10478D609A1.jpeg
    5C4FCCFF-C772-4024-A3CB-F10478D609A1.jpeg
    136.4 KB · Views: 201
  • F5B1329C-58C9-4969-AD66-A86B33177221.jpeg
    F5B1329C-58C9-4969-AD66-A86B33177221.jpeg
    48.4 KB · Views: 195
  • FF55C567-5F2B-46A9-B5A6-A13D7BEC38C2.jpeg
    FF55C567-5F2B-46A9-B5A6-A13D7BEC38C2.jpeg
    191.9 KB · Views: 177
  • A2628384-ED00-4FB4-B0BD-8DD48308D129.jpeg
    A2628384-ED00-4FB4-B0BD-8DD48308D129.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 204
  • 5DBFBFD6-5307-42D1-9F3B-04529E80755B.jpeg
    5DBFBFD6-5307-42D1-9F3B-04529E80755B.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 166
wow, welcome to TONMO, and thanks for sharing all the great photos!! We have a ton of great cephalopod fossil content on this site, thanks to contributors like @Architeuthoceras, and others over the years like @Terri and @Phil; many more. And lots of cuttlefish stuff too of course! You've come to the right place :thumbsup:

Sorry I made the post without any information on the pictures. I was thinking there would be a way to add captains to the pictures. Here is some info in the event you wish to know.

The first is a Placenticeras from the Ozan Formation in Fannin County, Texas. Campanian in age.
The second is a cluster of fauna which includes a partial Allocrioceras, partial Worthoceras and partial Sciponoceras gracile, all heteromorph ammonite from the Britton Formation in Denton county, Texas.
The 3rd is a nice fragment of Sciponoceras gracile baculite from the Britton Formation in Denton county, Texas.
The 4th is a death assemblage of cephalopod from the Britton Formation in Denton county, Texas. It includes Allocriceras, Nannometoicoceras, Worthoceras, Sciponoceras gracile and a few other cephalopods.
The 5th is a fragment of Metoicoceras with beautiful iridescence. I found May 22, 2020 in the Britton Formation of the Eagle Ford Group, Turonian in age I believe, but could be Cenomanian.
The last picture is of phosphatized Baculites cephalopod fragments with nice sutures from the Ozan Formation in Fannin County, Texas. Campanian in age.

Is there a way to edit my post to add ID or captains to the photos?
I just checked the settings; the ability to edit one's own post was 10 minutes but has been increased to 2 hours :smile:
Sorry I made the post without any information on the pictures. I was thinking there would be a way to add captains to the pictures. Here is some info in the event you wish to know.
no worries and thanks for the additional info. The forum attachment features do not allow captions, but our Photos/Videos Gallery does. The underlying software for this site will be updated (at some point) to allow more direct integration between these features.

:welcome: to TONMO Kim, Nice fossils, keep the photos coming! Thanks for the info on them also, very informative.
This was my first post and first day using this site. I have a lot to figure out. Tonmo said that you were a collector of fossil cephalopods.
Is there a gallery of some of your fossils?
Do you collect by hunting for them in situ or otherwise?

This was my first post and first day using this site. I have a lot to figure out. Someone said that you were a collector of fossil cephalopods.
Is there a gallery of some of your fossils?
Do you collect by hunting for them in situ or otherwise?
I found the answers to my questions.

I have a lot to figure out.
No problem, and take your time! Reach out if you have any questions... This site can be overwhelming (!) but once you get the hang of it, there's a lot here for the taking. Enjoy, and keep contributing, too!
I found the answers to my questions.
Here's a great summary of some of Kevin's works:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back