• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

new to the octopus world

sorry haven't been able to respond, its been logging me out when i try to.

the ich went away on the lionfish so i picked up GVH food soak to boost their immune systems so it hopefully won't come back.

and i just read an article about chainlink morays and it said that eels are very sesitive to copper based treatments. so im not sure why 5 people at the fish store told me to use it. seems like they'll say anything to get a sale.:biggrin2:

thanks for the responses.

Mike

KLtcb;122822 said:
sorry haven't been able to respond, its been logging me out when i try to.

That seems rather odd... can you give more details (feel free to send me a private message, if you can't respond about not being able to respond.)

Mike,
Find a new source for info anytime someone suggests adding chemicals to kill something to your saltwater tank. All scaleless fish (including eels, lions and dragonettes) are very sensitive to most chemicals as is your entire biological filtration system. When using any chemical for critter treatment, the first rule is to put it in a QT. If you don't get that as the first part of any advice, don't listen to the rest of it and do more research. It never hurts to get a little chummy with some of the pet store personnel and find out if they keep a saltwater aquarium during converstion. If they are fresh water tank keepers, it is usually best to extend your research before acting.

One of the main reasons I suggested reading the thread about hyposalinity is that you can treat an entire tank if need be and most critters will survive. It is a slow, extended treatment and you might lose a fish or worse but it will also help get rid of the parasites remaining in the tank. Octos, however, need high salinity and could not tollerate the extended very low salt content. Fortunately they are even less prone then the scaless fish to the common ich parasite. There are some gill parasites but detection in the home aquarium is not available nor is there yet a standard treatment or quarantine procedure.

I am glad your fish are doing better. Consistent, multiple water changes over then next two months are a good idea as there is a full cycle to most parasites (including Ichthyophthirius multifiliis) and water changes as well as anything you can do to reduce stress are helpful to prevent recurrence.

thanks for the reply dwhatley, im deffinetly going to keep up on water changes and use the food soak. its funny you said bring up in a conversation if they keep a tank, one of the people who told me to use a copper treatment said he doesn't have any tanks at home because he takes care of all the tanks at the store. gotta love it when they think they know so much.

Monty: not sure how to send a PM but for the few days i didn't log in was because when i came to the site, i log in on the top right then it says thank you for logging in then redirects me to the front page, then i go to the forums and see if anyone responded to my threat and when i hit reply, it logs me out, and when i try to log back in it says the box that i may not have permission or my account has been temporarily blocked or something like that. but then yesterday it worked

Mike

That's odd; I don't see anything in your user data that says there's a problem. Let us know if it comes up again...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back