new to saltwater

limz_777

Hatchling
Registered
hi everyone , i am totally new to ceph here and saltwater , i have kept freshwater fishes, doin a conversion to saltwater, a few questions

1. is the cycling process same as freshwater? i read that it takes 3mths to cycle?

2. is a bare tank with a ceramic pot sufficient or live rocks?

3. subsrate of normal aquarium sand, useable?

4. how frequent water changes?

any input will be greatly appreciated.:smile:

Welcome to Tonmo!
Saltwater aquaria differ from fresh in a lot of ways...you have to remember that freshwater fish are used to a limited oxygen supply naturally, and filtration isn't all of that important. (see one of my breeder tanks, frightening!)
I'd recommend doing a fair bit of research before plunging in, and see which area of saltwater you are interested in. Salt fish tanks are very, very different from reef tanks, and ceph tanks are different from both of those, too. A good idea might be to start with a small saltwater tank, say thirty to fifty gallons, and get your "feet wet" (pardon the pun) with some of the easy to keep animals, and then later on, look into starting a ceph tank. Hopefully, you have a good fish store nearby...be sure to post questions here often, you will find the crowd on Tonmo can point you in the right direction.
greg

limz_777 said:
is a nano 7 gal tank sufficient for octo bocki?:confused:
No. A 7 nano Isn't good for any octopus in fact its probably not good for saltwater fish at all. other than nano reefs wich are one of the most challenging tanks to keep do to the fact that the water quality changes so rapidly. A seven gallon tank is usless. octopus Brocki are pritty hard to find on the market so the best octopus to look for is a pygmy octopus or Bimic octopus. To start with you could probably keep a pygmy in a 30 gallon. possably a young bimic in a 30 gallon but you would later need a 55 gallon. So Its probably best to aim for a 55 gallon to start with. Take a look at the Articles at the top bar
Cephalopod Care

:welcome:

clownfish said:
No. A 7 nano Isn't good for any octopus in fact its probably not good for saltwater fish at all. other than nano reefs wich are one of the most challenging tanks to keep do to the fact that the water quality changes so rapidly. A seven gallon tank is usless. octopus Brocki are pritty hard to find on the market so the best octopus to look for is a pygmy octopus or Bimic octopus. To start with you could probably keep a pygmy in a 30 gallon. possably a young bimic in a 30 gallon but you would later need a 55 gallon. So Its probably best to aim for a 55 gallon to start with. Take a look at the Articles at the top bar
Cephalopod Care

:welcome:

the LFS do hold stock of Brocki , a small specimens , isnt it too small to be in a 30 gal tank? yes water quality is a big factor.. ,i will reconsider my project.

Are you sure they are bocki's?
Unbekannt-Octopus.jpg

image008.jpg

they come from the Indo-West Pacific,the color change is purple to pale or dark with occasional iridescent blue patches

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back