• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

new to octi

Animal Mother;101048 said:
Good idea.

Yup, that's half the purpose of a refugium. It's a "refuge" for the more fragile critters that would be eaten in the display.

Good to see you on here. I'm 14 too, just so you know. I'm MIKE22cha on swf.com in case you didn't realize.

Why not use the 18g as a dwarf sea horse tank and 50g as octo tank? Octos seem easier to keep than seahorses anyways, IMO.

suposedly the dwarf seahorses are harder to keep and breed. plus they need waysmaller tanks then 18 gallons. there tiny, they could live and breed in 10 gallons, and i think even 5 gallons.

plus, i liek the erectus seahorses better then mini ones :nyah:

trying to sell some freshwater things, snails, crawdads, and stuff, to make some moeny for it. so if anyone has a freshwater tank and may be itnerested pm me =P

trying to find someone with a 50 gallong or larger tank near linotn or bloomfield indiana that would wanna sell one cheap.

Dwarf Seahorses are really difficult yeah, plus you just about need a magnifying glass to keep up with them.

Erectus are great ones to start with, and I love their cyrri (hornlike appendages).

Charger21_SD;101050 said:
Good to see you on here. I'm 14 too, just so you know. I'm MIKE22cha on swf.com in case you didn't realize.

Why not use the 18g as a dwarf sea horse tank and 50g as octo tank? Octos seem easier to keep than seahorses anyways, IMO.

Yeah I knew it was you :smile: I would never have known you were a teenager though, and I don't mean that in a derogatory way.

I would say Seahorses aren't easy, but they are definitely easier than octos.

Animal Mother;101057 said:
Yeah I knew it was you :smile: I would never have known you were a teenager though, and I don't mean that in a derogatory way.

I would say Seahorses aren't easy, but they are definitely easier than octos.

I hope that a compliment?

Anyways, it seems to me that octos just require lots of research and a perfect setup. Seahorses need that plus specific feeding 3 times a day.
I'd rather do octopi than seahorses anyday.

i'd say seahorses are harder. hey i got an idea

you guys send me 300 bucks through paypal and i'll go right to the LFS tomorrow =D

haha, jk....unelss oyu want to >_>

i'm gonna have to start ot with a 100 dollar skimmer. i can always work my way up.

Okay, well in my experience (we keep Erectus) Seahorses are much easier to accomodate, but yes, perhaps after an octopus is acclimated and eating it is easier to maintain.

So what's the plan? Getting a seahorse tank then saving for octi?
Here's what I think, we're both 14 and we have only 4 more years to college. I wanted to get a shark tank, I could have the funds, but I decided by the time I got it I'd only have 2 years with it. Plus that means I'd have to sell my reef. Plus I want a nice car when I'm 17-18. Just some food for thought. :biggrin2:

my parents will by my car. and i have always wanted a shark tank to. but i decided to wait till i had my own house to by a large pool for.... >_>

and if i do get an apartment sometime, i can always either see if i can move my stuff there or something. there is no way in hell i'm getting rid of all my hard work and all my pets to go to colledge.

(to be a marine biologist/zooligist, go figure)

Ya I'm getting a free car too.(Truck actualy) but I want to get a Honda del Sol and give it a sweet paint job, and a nice sterio, new engine, new customized seats, basicly a 10,000$ project. Which the shark tank would be 5000$ so I'm just going to wait for the sharks and octopus tank till I get a house of my own.

Charger21_SD;101103 said:
Ya I'm getting a free car too.(Truck actualy) but I want to get a Honda del Sol and give it a sweet paint job, and a nice sterio, new engine, new customized seats, basicly a 10,000$ project. Which the shark tank would be 5000$ so I'm just going to wait for the sharks and octopus tank till I get a house of my own.

Good move, by then there might even be advances in the hobby that allow for even easier or at least cheaper equipment setups.

My comment to you earlier was absolutely a compliment. I've read a lot of your posts on SWF and you come across as being very mature for your age. I wish I'd had that mindset 14 years ago.

I have to agree with Animal Mother that Seahorses are hairdier then most people give them credit if you put them in the proper environment [which is not that hard].
Although my octo experience is short.
EDIT* BTW Im 15.

Animal Mother;101104 said:
Good move, by then there might even be advances in the hobby that allow for even easier or at least cheaper equipment setups.

My comment to you earlier was absolutely a compliment. I've read a lot of your posts on SWF and you come across as being very mature for your age. I wish I'd had that mindset 14 years ago.

Thank you soo much. That is quite a compliment.

Fishfreak, good to see another teenage reefer.

I think, if my mom will let me, sticking with the truck and maybe building a pond in my mom's garage. Maybe......I'm going to talk with my mom of course, and talk to some guys that are good friends of mine that know a lot about sharks.

and to think, i used to thinki was one of the few amount of young saltwater hobbyists...

and yeah by the time we both have sharks i bet a protien skimmer would be 20 bucks, haha. at the speed of things these days, some of the sutff we would buy today for a shark tank may be completely outdated.

10 or so years ago it was pretty much impossible to keep seahorses...i think, i fi got my years right

so....BIG NEWS

my parents decided to buy me some things

seaclone 100 protien skimmer
55 gallon tank

heater and filter (wich i'll not use probably on this tank, came with 55 gal)

tank hood+lighting, flaurescent (spelled wrong) i think is what it is

salt, enough to do a 1.026 salinity

some arganite or however you spell it sand. not enough though, i'll have to get more

no octopus of course. i plan on letting the tank mature a couple months or so before looking for one.

whats the prices generally on baby bimacs?

gonna prepare the tank and get itcycling tomorrow!

(will get pics of my stuff soon)

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back