• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

new to cephs

That would definately be better than a 30-40. Go all the way if you can, but anywhere in the 55-75 range is a pretty good bet. Do you need help with setup?

yeah, the "common wisdom" is that a 55 is the smallest tank size that we haven't seen problems with for a bimac. If you're cramped for space, 55 should be OK for a bimac or briareus. In smaller tanks, like 40, we sometimes see an increased mortality rate, so we don't recommend them. Water volume is one of the biggest concerns, so adding a sump to a 55gal would be helpful, too, and keep in mind that octos produce more waste than most animals, so make sure to have good filtration and that the tank is well-cycled.

I'm thinking a briareus needs a bigger tank, but the jury's still out.

I would just avoid vulgaris because of the size, and dwarfs because they probably don't have the disposition you are expecting. A. aculeatus and O. hummelincki stay relatively smaller than the other common mid-sized octos in the trade, if you can't find a source for a bimac.

I am really liking the briareus and I found a spot for a 75g I will just need to move some things around which won't be a problem, what size sump/refugium would you suggest? I also would put an ATO in, but I don't really know how to set those up... I know the basics with SW aquariums and octos being messy and all, but I will definately need help setting up a tank specifically for an octopus... what do you do for flow, temp, keeping rock stable, substrate, sealing tank, etc.... I can't think of everything now so anything anyone can add in would be great because I want to make sure I know everything possible for making this successful before I set up any tanks :smile: thanks!

alright I'm also curious of set-ups for holding fiddler crabs and w/e other live food they have? and would I guess I could put snails/crabs in the sump and refugium?

also is there anything you can keep with an octopus, I understand that they need a tank completely dedicated to them, but does anyone keep anything else with them?

I keep a brittle star (who spends most of his time hiding under a rock, as Oliver gets grumpy and tries to pull him around the tank) and two damsels. Most people advise very strongly against damsels, as they have been known to attack octo's eyes, but these guys seem okay to co-exist, and have done for two months so far.

Anything you put in with an octo that might be snacked on, will be. I had a very pretty (and much larger than Oliver) shrimp that vanished mysteriously one night. I'm waiting for the damsels to start disappearing, but apparently fish are friends, not food.

More seriously, there is a pretty short list of things you can keep with an octo, and even some corals are on the verboten list. Try looking back over the archives - a lot of people have discussed the things you're asking in a great deal of depth in the past.

i tried keeping a clownfish with mine......the clownfish was lunch! no more nemo lol. i had mine with some soft corals and i had a few starfish. but i have heard people keeping octos in a full blown reef and everything was fine but i def. wouldn't risk it.

You want an overflow with ALL of your equipment in the sump. You will need a good filter rated to 1.5 times the amount of water volume you have, a REALLY good skimmer rated to 1.5 - 2 times the amount of water volume. you NEED to have enough live rock. A heater or cooler for a bimac.

It appears that you are going for an octo (Cuttles are better :sly:)so the live rock can be set up however you want it really, it just HAS to be secure, Ive even read an article on someone buying the marine glue and gluing it all together, but that seems a bit drastic. If you do go for a cuttle (beter choice :wink:), many people like to pile the live rock on the sides, or one side of the tank to give them an open "play area" because they tend to swim more than octos.

I was thinking of getting a drilled tank off glasscages.com and setting up my own sump and refugium... lol can I ask why cuttles are better : D? They seem to be harder to come by and harder to care for?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back