new to cephs

jamest0o0

O. vulgaris
Registered
Hi I'm new to cephs and just have a few questions to get me started off(I won't plan on getting anything for awhile yet just thought I'd get started on my research now)...

anyway my first question is, what is more expensive/complicated to care for cuttlefish or octos?

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
:welcome: to TONMO.

The costs are pretty similar... as a rule, the food cost for ceph-keeping outweighs all other costs involved. You can find some good overview information to get started under the ARTICLES tab at the top of the page, if you haven't already.

jamest0o0

O. vulgaris
Registered
alright, I know everyone will have different opinions, but what do people usually find more interesting octos or cuttles?
and what do you feed them and how often because I know they are big eaters... thanks!

Food depends on size/age of specimen. Babies will start with live mysis and pods and work their way up to small shrimp and hermits and eventually take larger crabs.

We like to suggest www.aquaculturestore.com as a place to order live food.

I think they are both equally interesting. Main difference to me is octos down swim as much as cuttles, and cuttles don't walk and climb as much as octos. And octos don't have those nifty tentacles to strike their food with.

jamest0o0

O. vulgaris
Registered
ahhh thanks so much, I've been reading all of these articles and I notice in all the pictures the octos and cuttles are different colors, now I know cuttles are great at doing this, but do octos do this and do they do this as often in the home aquarium?

jamest0o0

O. vulgaris
Registered
alright so I'm very interested in cephs, but my biggest concern is feeding, I go on a vacation once a year for about a week and during the summer I will go away a few times anywhere from 1-3 days....

If you absolutely have to leave your tank alone it is best to have someone come check on it daily. You'll need to train someone you trust to take care of it while you are away.

Latest Posts