• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

New to cephalopods

Hi i am wanting maybe a dwarf octo or a bimac? Not sure yet but i have 2 tank options i have a 35 gallon hex and the one i want most feedback on which is my 80 gallon cylinder. I have had this tank set up for 2 yrs with seahorses but i want to do something different now. I want to know if it is even a good tank for an ocotpus or not and since my rockwork is glued to my overflow will that be ok? Any suggestions on what to add as gar as cabes or anything ? Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20170227_192239.jpg
    IMG_20170227_192239.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 185
We did some major reconstructing with a 40 gallon hex tank with a center overflow -- moving the overflow to the back of the tank -- to make it more suitable for octos smaller than a bimac (dwarfs and aculeatus) so my first thought is that the 80 won't give any real swimming room for a medium sized octo (the glued rocks are not a negative but there is no denning space for any species as it is currently configured). What I would think it would be ideal for would be a few bandensis (or any small to medium) cuttlefish. You would still need to add more hiding spaces for cuttles but the structure should accomodate them well.

I am sorry, what we did (and I don't recommend even considering it) was taking out the weir, sealing the bottom, drilling a new hole and moving all the sump hardware so that the weir sits 3/4 to the back rather than centered. An aculeatus would probably be fine but a thicker animal like a bimac would be crowded.

I am sorry, what we did (and I don't recommend even considering it) was taking out the weir, sealing the bottom, drilling a new hole and moving all the sump hardware so that the weir sits 3/4 to the back rather than centered. An aculeatus would probably be fine but a thicker animal like a bimac would be crowded.
For the 35 hex ? Ok thank you

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back