• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

New Tank

Last question for a while, I promise (I followed esquids advice and got a book). I am getting my snails and hermits now, I know I need 6 turbo snails, and 12 hermits, but What hermits and how many of each type?

If you get dwarf hermits (blue-leg) I would get twice as many, they're teeny tiny. Whichever kind is available should be fine. The problem with the larger ones is that they will kill your snails for their shells when they outgrow the ones they have. The blue-legs seem to behave themselves pretty well. You can choose a variety or stick to one kind. I prefer having different kinds just so they don't all look the same.

I would suggest the ones that you know will stay relatively small (blue or red legged) if you plan to have any kind of serpent star. It seems the larger ones find serpent's arms an easy meal. Mr. Green Jean's problems began with one of my son's larger hermits. The crab took off one arm and was munching on a second (without having eaten the first) when we became aware of the situation.

I like the dwarf zebra HC. They don't seem to beat up on snails as much as scarlet HC. you may want to only get half your snails and crabs now as there is nobody to clean up after yet.

Prolly amphipods...although recently I had an outbreak of baby shrimp in my ocots tank. Theyre tiny, clear, and move in and out of holes extremely fast. I think they're from my peppermint shrimp. Oddly, my octo never touched the peppermint and its been there since his introduction?!? Sometimes LR can have baby shrimp eggs in it also. Either way nothing to worry about.

Octavarium;112185 said:
Prolly amphipods...although recently I had an outbreak of baby shrimp in my ocots tank. Theyre tiny, clear, and move in and out of holes extremely fast. I think they're from my peppermint shrimp. Oddly, my octo never touched the peppermint and its been there since his introduction?!? Sometimes LR can have baby shrimp eggs in it also. Either way nothing to worry about.

Sure they're not mysids?

As you all know, I have some sort of green growth thing on my tank glass (cyanobacteria?). Well we are doing a project on protists at school and I was wondering if "cyanobacteria" was a protist or what organisms that I could easily aquire in my aquarium are protists. Im just double checking with the experts because if I end up with something that's not a protist, I end up with a big flat (or should I say round) 0 on a major grade :banghead: :goofysca:

Attachments

• conv_292420.jpg
    conv_292420.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 92
  • conv_292421.jpg
    conv_292421.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 96
Cynobacteria is not an algae but is usually dark maroon and slimy, what I see in the picture looks more like green algae. The photo suggest that you are having an algae bloom (my nano has a constant algae bloom and is green 48 hours after my weekly cleaning). To grow more leave your lights on longer :hmm:, to minimize it reduce your lighting or lighting time and do a lot of water changes.

If my brief research is correct, this should qualify - see Algae, the plant-like protists here:

Protist - Wikipedia

It also mentions brown algae which is also common (and unavoidable) in reef tanks. However, I am not a science expert and hopefully some of our members with credentials will verify the identification.

I believe in modern taxonomy, protista doesn't include bacteria, including cyanobacteria, or archaea, only eukaryotic organisms... I'm just looking at wikipedia pages, like the table at the bottom of this one. You might want to ask your teacher exactly how protista is defined for the purpose of this assignment...

To be sure, I'd look for eukaryotic single-celled organisms, not cyanobacteria...

Monty's right, I'm taking microbio right now and the three domains based on RNA sequencing and membrane bound organelles is the current classification system. In that protists are eukarya not bacteria. What is the definition of protist that your teacher is using for class?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back