New tank setup help

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
They really should be kept at lower temperatures than tropical, which is about 78 degrees. Room temperature is usually lower. Try for the lower 70's, which can be achieved by a fan on the sump and other methods other than a chiller. It's true, some have kept bimacs successfully at room temperature and some of our home aquarists have the tank as low as 65 degrees.

Nancy

Bigpapa

Wonderpus
Registered
Thank you shipposhack and nancy. It seems like I have a bit of flexibility here. I think I have some time then because it would stay in that range until next july/august.. By that point I can either get a chiller or some smaller version of that process like the fan you mention. Another question I have-- how about these led "moon" lights that I have seen? I have heard that they help with the natural light cycle-- with an octo is that nec?

No, moonlights are never necessary. They are so you can view your tank at night. Copying the lunar cycles would be difficult unless you get something electronic to run it. Also it is not at all needed in an octo tank. If you want moonlights they must be Red LEDs and not Blue.

Latest Posts