• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

New Octopus owner

Are you running a skimmer? If so the water should be very well oxygenated. If not, then you might try an air pump with an air stone on it somewhere isolated from the octopus.

Yea I have a skimmer going. I'm just trying to think of some reason why she is acting so weird. Today she is just stuck herself to the back of the tank and doesn't want to come out.

Shea;124147 said:
Yea I have a skimmer going. I'm just trying to think of some reason why she is acting so weird. Today she is just stuck herself to the back of the tank and doesn't want to come out.

That actually sounds like fairly normal behavior for an anxious octopus. Was she out and about a lot before?

I'd be more concerned about the not eating, but all of them sound like "stressed out octopus." Aside from keeping up water changes and checking the water parameters, I think the best things you can do are to give her enough space that she can get used to things, and keep trying different food options... maybe trying clams, scallops, and crabs would be worth a try. I didn't see in your posts if you've tried any live foods (except the damsels)? Some octos won't take dead food at all.

Yea she would spend alot of time moving around the tank. My friend at the LFS gave me a small clam and a peppermint shrimp the other day, she hasn't touched them. I keep the salt at 30 ppt and the temp is at 78. Her color is normal and she still changes color and texture.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back