New Octopus! May I have advice on how to make her comfortable?

Smeapancol

Blue Ring
Registered
I have some updates on Ineffabella! I saw her wandering around tonight. Absolutely spectacular! However, I really am desperate for more advice now. :smile:

She seems to be nocternal. It was in the middle of the night that I found her outside her den and moving around. It was after midnight already. But if she's nocternal, that would mean she's not a bimac as I had originally expected! I hope she won't grow too large for the tank because it's just not big enough to fit anything larger than a bimac.

Now, I don't have any good pictures yet, but perhaps I could describe everything I know about her. Her mantle is about 2 or 2.5 inches long, and her arms are at least 7 inches. She has a little webbing, but not much. I have seen her a dark brown, many mottled patters of white, black, and gray, and I have also seen her a minty grean. I have noticed that she sometimes has little horns over her eyes.

Now, as to sealing the tank. I had been a little lax on sealing the tank before because I had read that bimacs are less interested in escaping then other species. So tonight I finished sealing up all the holes with duck tape. As for the overflow tube, I stuffed some filter foam into it. Now there are no holes, but couldn't a determined octo force an opening somewhere?

Any suggestions on how to improve the anti-escape measures would be greatly appreciated!

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Hi, most octopuses can go through a bit of a nocturnal stage when they are settling in so just give it some time to settle in. No sign of a blue ring on each side of the body? Even a bimac could go through a shy stage.

Just use your best judgement to ensure that you don't see any holes where the octo could slide through and if there are sliding parts like cover glasses that they cant be slid :smile:

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
What you've described doesn't sound too much like a bimac, but there's also the fact to consider that bimacs have not been much on sale recently.

We'll have to wait and see.

Nancy

Latest Posts