• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

New octopus may be stressed--advice please?

DHyslop

Architeuthis
Registered
Smeapancol;80467 said:
I just tested my water and the nitrites had gone up to about .2 mg/L. How big of a problem is that? What can I do to keep it down at zero?

How long was the tank running with the damsel before you put in the octo?

Dan

Smeapancol

Blue Ring
Registered
The damsel was in there a little over a month.

Actually I just did the weekly water change and I detected no nitrite at all this time, so I think that's ok. Now I just have those questions about feeding:

For the past two days, he's eaten one blueleg hermit grab a day. Is that enough? (Hope so, since they're $1.50 each.) Too much?

I've only been able to get him to eat by putting the hermit crab right at the mouth of the shell he's been hiding in, so how long should I keep doing that? Eventually I'll want to make him come out and find the crabs himself. Should I wait for him to come out on his own or should I force him to come out by not feeding him that way?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjh1951

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak