• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and gain access to our Supporters forum. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more cephy goodness.

[Octopus]: New Octopus ID

Declan Forth

Hatchling
Registered
Hi, everyone! Recently I purchased an "1.5 inch Brown Octopus" from Saltwaterfish.com and it has arrived today. I successfully acclimated "it" and it has fled into the rockwork. I shot a video of the octopus but it appears the video file is too large so here are some pictures. I was hoping that some of you guys could help me ID it. I personally think it looks like a Mercatoris but I'd like a more expert opinion. Thanks!

Attachments

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
There are three other recent acquisitions from Saltwaterfish.com that are thought to be O. bocki. Have a look at Victor, Zeke and this unnamed octopus to look for similarities. The eyes of O. bocki are a point of interest that would help separate them from O. mercatoris.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catifshconnoisseur

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak