New octopus :D

Awesome. Do you have any frozen shrimp you could offer him on a feeding stick? If he'll reach out to try and feel your face, he'd probably be interested in reaching out to inspect something dangling on a stick.

in trying to find something along the lines of a feeding stick that wont contaminate the water :smile: as i dont have one already...i wonder what hand do if i hand offered it

hes shedding suction-cups like crazy

he ate some shrimp :biggrin2:...they really are messy eaters -.- lol
he also but the tip of one of his arms off 0.o could it be because i didn't defrost the shrimp? i thought it'd be floating around a wile before he went after it but he went after it immediately.

also do they normally go into hiding after they eat?

You need to completely defrost the shrimp and bring it to room temperature before offering it.

If you find plain wooden (bamboo) skewers, like are used in cooking, you can lash two of them end to end with fishing line and make a very good feeding stick.

Nancy

Drakanorn,
The bamboo sticks Nancy mentioned are great for any number of things. This one is probably a, "Mom, when you go to the grocery store would you mind looking for" kind of item. Mine are called simply, "Bamboo Skewers", are 12" long and I think the lot of 100 at Kroger was about $2.00 (probably a buck at the dollar store if they happen to have them but they should be in most chain groceries. They are often impulse items hanging in the strangest of places so she may need to ask a clerk). If you use it as a feeding stick without the fishing line be sure to break off the pointed tip. It will also work to poke some holes in your netting, clean algae out of crevices, stir substrate (my favorite for this), push stoppers out of suringes, help secure a 4' live rock wall, ...

ill look into it but atleast for now he seems ok with grabbing the shrimp as it floats. iv known your supposed to defrost it but for whatever reason i was coninced that he would be stairing at it a long time befor going after it. wont happen again.

Hey drakanorn, could you tell me who you got your octo from on ebay? I am looking at a similar one and it might be the same seller and knowing your recent history it would help out greatly.. Thanks!

Bigpapa,
You may want to email Dana Cramer (his new website is: http://ccritters.com/ and there is a link to his email on the front page). He worked for Tom (of tomstropicals) for years but recently married and Tom gave him his blessing and he is now on his own (good chance he uses Tom's packing facility but I don't know that, just a hunch). He is a diver/collecter and seems to know the difference between a briarius and a mercatoris. I have bought soft corals and dwarf seahorses from him directly in years past and he is easy to work with. Be explicit about what you want and he should be able to give you an estimate on how long he expects it would be to find one. Unlike Tom, Dana is likely to actually go looking for a special order (more a matter of just starting out than personality). I don't know if he night dives (one of the easier way to spot the briarius I am told) but he has offered them on eBay several times.

It has been a long time since I have contacted him so he probably won't remember me by name but will likely know who I am if you reference me as "Ken's webmaster" (won't hurt but may not help since Ken is friendly competition)

got the octo on tomstropicals on ebay i think its the same guy from that diver toms website. shipped with no hot or cold packs and in good condition minus 3 legs

when i got home today fluffy was up against the tank and didn't appear to be breathing. i kept cheeking for the next hour and he hadn't moved. but then i turned on the tank light and he scooted back into his normal spots. as it turns out he was laying over the filter output area and as far as i could tell he was letting the filter breath for him! lol gave me a scare though.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back