New Octopus - briareus

Tomeczek

Cuttlefish
Registered
well i just got my octo

he inked a little when i first put him in the tank, but thankfully i caught all of the ink in the bag. i mean i was really careful about putting him in.

the petstore said they dont know what species he is. any ideas by looking at this picture?

11563_537593817559_203802474_32020522_6436796_n.jpg

Not much to go on from the one picture but the webbing suggests briareus and I'll predict male (if I am looking at the correct arm and the suckers are not enlarged by the photo angle) but more observation is needed. If my call is correct, he will not be out much for the next month or two (length of mantle and arms would help on age if it is briareus, not so much with others). He should take food from a feeding stick if you can find his lairand coax him to touch the food.

If you see him out during the day, wrong call.

dwhatley;145975 said:
Not much to go on from the one picture but the webbing suggests briareus and I'll predict male (if I am looking at the correct arm and the suckers are not enlarged by the photo angle) but more observation is needed. If my call is correct, he will not be out much for the next month or two (length of mantle and arms would help on age if it is briareus, not so much with others). He should take food from a feeding stick if you can find his lairand coax him to touch the food.

If you see him out during the day, wrong call.

wow im impressed, no he only comes out during the day when i put some mysis shrimp in there.

i was hoping he would be a bimac, oh well still interesting, he came out once it was somewhat dark and started dragging an effing rock thats pretty huge, i was scared that he might break the glass so i took all of the smaller rocks out and now only have 2 large live rocks which i can barely lift, and a plastic hallow cave rock which he spends most of his time hiding in.

appreciate the help :smile:

It is normal for them to want to rearrange parts of their aquarium and you should provide a few rocks for him to do this. We have never had an octopus cause an issue with the glass in my time on TONMO but rock stacking is always a concern for tumbling rocks. I would suggest putting at least a few pieces or a variety of shells in on the bottom substrate for him to arrange. You need to allow him to hide, observe you and decide when you can see him.

With the webbing and color, I feel certain it is not bimac or hummelincki (a warm water species that looks like bimac but comes from the Caribbean) and reviewing the photo, I will stand by my first guess. Scan through the List of our octopuses for 2008 and 2009 for entries marked briareus to view photos and read about tendencies. Other than the length of time it takes the young ones to interact, you should not be disappointed.

As soon as I figure out how :wink: I will be moving the discussion on this octo to a separate thread in the Journals and Photos forum (Forums->Journals and Photos->New Octopus - briareus) as it is off topic for the current discussion but a welcomed addition for journaling our octopuses.

so far so good! he never really comes out from the plastic rock though, only sticks afew tenticles out to grab food i give him.. or when i come home late at night he will be lurking around but then gets scared and goes straight into his rock.

sucks that most of the time hes hiding from me...

every once in a while he will poke one eye out from a hole in the rock and just stare at me while im on my computer, sort of creepy haha..

i feed him frozen shrimp, well unfrozen.

hes housed with a coral banded shrimp which he doesnt seem mess with, although all of the snails in my aquarium are gone

also he does not appear to have the "ich" which is the most important thing!

guess i gotta go out and get some red LEDS

So far, my experience with briareus (only one historic and two current) is that it takes several months before they are comfortable coming out in human presence. KaySoh comes out every night a our dinner time now but still does not say out like SueNami (I do expect he will eventually). Creepy only comes our for food but he/she is not in a place with a lot of human activity (but he can see into the kitchen). I can't determine if it takes the briareus that long to get accustomed to humans or if they need to reach a certain age/size before they are less shy. SueNami never did come to my hand for petting (he thought about it on occassion but just could not make the commitment to come or stay). Kalypso and Legs were far more interactive than SueNami but time will tell with KaySoh and Creepy.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back