New octo

Hi all, good news and bad news. I got a new octopus about a week ago to replace Mimius and my 3 year old named it Shelly because it was hidden in a clam shell for transport. Unfortunately have not seen too much of the animal since its addition to the tank. It built a very secure den and does not seem to leave the den at all. A small amount of food has been accepted. Anyway, today the octopus attacked the feeding tongs and opened up her den in doing so. The end result...another octopus with eggs already laid in the den. Just posting so those that are interested can see the eggs. Unfortunate as I've only had this specimen for a week, however, there is no way to know the age of a specimen when they are brought in. Too bad they are not actively bred and available in Canada captive bred. Thanks.

Attachments

• conv_302561.jpg
    conv_302561.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 74
  • conv_302562.jpg
    conv_302562.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 113
  • conv_302563.jpg
    conv_302563.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 77
I'm sorry to hear that your new octo is towards the end of its life! The eggs look pretty small, do you have an estimate of how large each is? It looks like the hatchlings will probably be planktonic. Since Octopets closed those of us down here in the states are feeling your pain about the lack of CB octos.

Dan

Hi Dan, each of the eggs is about 1.0 mm long and 0.5 mm in diameter - so definately the small variety. There is no practical way for me to raise any of the larvae as I have no access to the ocean or zooplankton stocks that would be appropriate - let alone the rearing chambers and equipment required. Unfortunatey Octopets never did ship to Canada so we have never had a choice here. The good news is that the retailer who has gotten me Mimius and Shelly seems to get very active healthy specimens in. But when you request a "small" or "juvenille" octo I guess its subjective and you take what they bring in. I'll keep everyone posted if anything develops (literally) with the eggs.

Ian

Well, just a quick update. Over the last few weeks Shelly has not left her den or accepted any food. Last night I was excited to see her out in the open near the den...until I realized she was dead. The den contains only strands of protein - no eggs anymore. The tank contains a small blue chromis and it was eagerly eating "things" out of the water column. Upon closer inspection the things were dozens of larvae approximately 3 mm long. The tank has begun to crash a little I think due to the number of larvae released and no doubt dead and/or dying. I'm sorry no pics available, my camera is not nearly the quality you would need to photograph the small larvae. A few weeks ago I introduced a large amount of various algae species to the tank in large clumps. I had hoped it might provide a breeding ground for amphipods and copepods to perhaps keep a couple of octopus larvae alive. I have no way of knowing for sure if the larvae seen in the water column are from the octo eggs or the algae amphipod breeding successfully. I have never seen that many larvae in the column before (hundreds), Thanks.

Ian

RIP....Those were the babies. One of my octos, think it may have been G2 also hatched out hundreds of freeswimming planktonic babies. Think I have a few shots posted here somewheres. Anyway, sorry for your loss!

Carol

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back