• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

New octo tank ideas... recommendations?

Just a comment on the use of syringes and boiling water to get rid of aptasia - I went to Walgreen's today to buy some new syringes, and the pharmacist treated me like a drug user - she refused to sell me any needles, saying I needed a prescription or letter from my doctor. Wouldn't believe that I wanted them for aquarium use! What next!

Nancy

Re: Thanks :smile:

To make sure my lid goes no where I am going to bolt it down with nylon screws and wing nuts. The screws will go througn the Plexy top and the lip on the top tank frame with either a dolop of silicon, or superglue to keep them in place and from turning.
I divided the top into three sections, front, middle, and back, with the front divided into two halfs. The back section is divided into three sections, one completly covering the overflow, one small one in the corner and the last consisting of the rest. The front section is probably 9" deep, the middle 6"deep, and the back is 3".

cmidkiff said:
Thanks for all the replies, everyone...

Here's the plan, this weekend, I'm kalk-ing the aptasia, and dosing flatworm eXit while I'm at it, and securing everything. Going to pick up a sheet of plexiglass to cover the top, perhaps see if I can come up with a clever way of keeping it in place, rather than using duct tape... and covering my inlet/outlets with sponges (wire tied in place??). I'm also going to add a carbon charge to the sump, and give my skimmer, pumps, etc. a good cleaning.

Nancy said:
Just a comment on the use of syringes and boiling water to get rid of aptasia - I went to Walgreen's today to buy some new syringes, and the pharmacist treated me like a drug user - she refused to sell me any needles, saying I needed a prescription or letter from my doctor. Wouldn't believe that I wanted them for aquarium use! What next!

Nancy

:bugout:

I hope that ain't the only pharmacy in the area. Ever thought of using an extra long pipette? Or maybe an eye dropper.

Tank clarifications

Wire ties - I'm talking about the nylon zip ties, normally used to hold bundles of wires... 'wire tie' is a common term in my area, sorry 'bout that :smile:

Colin - 'A DSB wouldn't work in the tank with the octo'... why not? That's the bit I've been looking for, and can't find. Other than the fact that the octo's going to re-arrange it, I can't see why they wouldn't be compatable. I'm not trying to be argumentitive, just trying to achieve the best environment for my (future) octo... Currently, this tank has 4" southdown DSB, in the tank _and_ in the refugeum. All the reading I've done show how sensitive octo's are to water quality, I've never found a better way to keep water quality high than with the use of a DSB.

Flatworm eXit - I'm not sure how it works. I do know people who have successfully used it to rid a reef of flatworms without harmfull effects. Water changes are recommended in the directions on the package, I'm going to double the volume of water changes they recommend.

Nylon thumbscrews... Hmmmm :smile: Great idea!

Many pet stores carry a product called StopAptasia. The product doesn't seem to work any better than kalkwasser, but they sell an 'applicator' for it, just a syringe with a dull stainless tip. Works very well for kalk, I'd imagine it'd work for hot water treatment, as well. At least nobody's going to think you're a druggie when you buy one!

its precisely the fact that the octopus will dig it up that renders the DSB useless... DSBs are a fad that will soon coem to a natural conclusion.. its like hiding a time bomb under your gravel!

Make sure you run loads of carbon when you use flat worm exit, and then do a major water change in the following days.

Workin on a friends 150g (uk gallons) reef, we used the whole bottle in two or three dozings an dropped in an extra filter line to the main tank running a mountain of carbon.

The residents did take the knock for a couple of weeks :shock: but showed good signs of recovery within a couple of days of doin it. You'll be well surprised with how many flat worms will come off the rock ( if you've left them for a while).

Good Luck :biggrin2:

Ahhh Mr Colin!!!

Ive been on the moon lookin for signs of extra terrestrial badger's, since Ive heard a theory that the equatic one's we have are as a result of a meteor bringin them to this planet. I will let you know my finding's!!

Nah been tryin to sort study an chrimbo wacked me tank back a bit, which im kinda glad as ive been able to sit back an read some posts of similar questions i asked at first an find different opinions.

Ive now figured a way of gettin the tank runnin an cyclin without havin to buy everything first, since my sump needed all the equipment in an ready prior to stickin the pipes otherwise i couldnt do anything!! nightmare, but have refined the design now an just need the time to sort it out now. :bugout:

Also been in touch with customs an excise, DEFRA, U.S. FSA, erm octopets an fishsupply to see what is required to get the little fella sent myself. :shock:

But havnt forgotten bout them shore crabs by yours!!! :smile:

let me know if you get round to importing, would be interested to tag in :smile:

Colin - no probs mate. check your PM

btw fogot to mention it was a 100% success with flat worm exit, lethal stuff, but mad that you cant buy it over here, who knows what thats all about?!?!?!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back