• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

new Octo & some odd things

I dunno man. That's a sketchy theory and sand bed disruption shouldn't put a dent in the "overkill filtration" you told us about. I don't think your tank is cycled completely. How long has this system been running with a bioload, and what kind of filtration do you have? do you have a skimmer?

Moreover, how is your octopus doing? any more stringy tissue coming off? The increase in activity seems like a good sign to me.

BTW, I misspoke about a properly cycled tank not having a nitrate level...nitrate does build up over time.

GOOD LUCK! Cheers, Jimbo

The tank was set up back in June. It is a 30 gallon tank with an underground filter with a 201 powerhead. It also has an external Via-Aqua 230 canister system filled with both carbon & Bio-Chem Zorb. The tank originally had some snails in it along with a fish that had been injured. When the injured fish was healthy again he was put back in my other tank & only the snails remained until the Octo showed up. The tank itself was set up using both water & substrate from my other tank to prevent the need of a long cycling period.

As for the octo itself, he died yesterday. Big sucko! I have bought a r/o unit & after I get the water changed with some r/o stuff I will see about trying again.

Thanx for everyone's help

Andy

Hi Andy

Sorry your octo died.

If you do try for an octo again...

because you never knew what killed the first you will have to clean the tank extremely well and maybe even use brand new stuff in the tank.

Hope you stick about

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back