New Octo not sure what kind????

delaharsha

Cuttlefish
Registered
Hello
I just got my octopus after waiting weeks. It has not had anything to eat. I have tried scallops,shrimps,live crabs, etc....

Also here is a pic. to help id

Attachments

• conv_303425.jpg
    conv_303425.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 134
Can you provide some additional info like mantle size, arm length, and origin? Also, it it diurnal or nocturnal?

It looks like it might be one of the dwarf species, but looks a little different than my mercs.

Upvote 0
mantle is about 2" and the arms spread is 7" or so.

This octopus is all over the tank. He will stay in his cave for a bit then rome all over the tank. He has a lot of energy.

Thanx for the help.

Upvote 0
Don't be surprised if your seahorse winds up being the first meal. Makes for an easy target and a lot of octopuses love to munch on anything that moves. Not always the case, but I would be cautious not knowing what kind you have.

We need information. Like, how long have you had it? What are your water parameters? The restlessness combined with lack of appetite is worrisome. If your water parameters are out of wack then the restlessness could be a sign of discomfort/distress, this would also explain the lack of appetite. Could just be a senescent octopus doing what they do. Old male octopuses can act nutty and refuse food before they die.

Upvote 0
Good pictures.

The iridescent green spots all over it resemble O. briareus. The mantle/arm proportions seem off though, the arms looking relatively short. I dunno though, could be briareus.

Upvote 0
Easiest way to tell is enlarged suckers IMO. Suckers on females arms are pretty uniform, don't have much contrast in size whereas males tend to have obviously over-sized suckers on the bulkier part of their arms. Males 3rd right arm is modified, but it's not too easy to tell when they're moving around constantly. Some males seem to carry it curled up most of the time.

From the second picture it looks as if the octopus is maybe missing the end of an arm? (directly right of the eye)

Upvote 0
You have to answer some questions before we can find a solution.

How long have you had the octopus?
Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate levels?
Salinity?

If the octopus is making contact with crabs and not eating them or at least killing them something is wrong with your octopus.

Upvote 0
Gauging from my recent experience :sad: I suspect she may pick a den soon and not come out. That mantle looks awfully full.

Do you see any kind of ring on either side of her mantle close to the head (where the arms join)?

Doe she show a variation of colors or is she almost always the color in the photos?

Does she display a spikey look?

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back